Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son has the 2016 recon w/manual foot shift but doesn't show what gear he is in like the electric shift model does. do they make a shift indicator for the manual foot shift ?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
nope. he just needs to '' learn '' what gear he is in ?. it's not hard, and there is numbers stamped on the left engine case near the shifter, but this won't tell you what gear he's in ?, it just shows how many gears are made into the tranny. this is pretty much a learing process, you kinda have to '' learn '' by memory when riding to know what gear your in ?. most Honda atvs all are 5 speed with reverse, at least the newer models are, some very old atcs and atvs are 4 speed with reverse. how old is your son ?, I hope he's at least 16 ?, most states require riders to be 16 to be legal age to ride atvs.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
16 or 12, it doesn't really matter does it asking as he's safe. Let's face it, all of us have broken a law at some point in our lives.
Out of curiosity, is that across the whole of US? There are no age restrictions in place to ride an off-road vehicle here in the UK. Only if your on a highway, you have to have a licence, insurance etc etc

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Pretty much falls into the mind your own business category I would say.....

No shift indicator for the foot shift models, although I'm sure it could be done if you were determined lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone for the info. my son just turned 9 years old this was his birthday present. now I know a lot of you might not like that but he’s been riding since he was 3 years old he’s had a 50cc Polaris and a 90cc Polaris. he’s as tall as most 12 or 13 year olds and is about 120lbs he fits perfect on the recon 250.
all of his bikes before this one were automatics so he’s just getting used to shifting we went with the Honda because I have the 2015 rancher and love it.
he will figure it out he’s doing well it’s just when we slow down to go through a mud hole or over a log he seems to be in the wrong gear.

https://us6.proxysite.com/process.php?d=8e6kD4u/CvtBzrghdZyRD1opqlHJdS5PgHQ6EFab9UjYX/ZGgd2M&b=7

1 - 5 of 5 Posts