Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 2016 rancher 420 with 54.4 hours on it. I went to Japan for 6 months and left it with my buddy. When I got back I found out it was messed up. It was smoking super bad. It only takes about 10 seconds for it to start.
So here's what I've done to fix it.
I've replaced the head and all the seals twice, gapped the valves, and checked the piston rings by pouring oil on top of it while the h3qd was off and waited a few days. The level never moved so I'm assuming the seals are good. The walls weren't scarred at all. It ticks loud as hell too. More than the normal "Honda tick." I've had some people mention the crank bearing but I'm not sure. I've read through about 50 forums about this. I read about excess in the tailpipe and needing to burn it out but I haven't done that yet. I also replaced the oil filter and made sure it was in right. Just looking for some advice on what it could be. I'm looking to sell it cause I don't ride it anymore. I just wanna get it right before I sell it so I can get full asking price. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Tear it down, pull the cylinder, take it to a machine shop. Have them measure it to see if it needs bored. From there you will know the necessary measures to take.

Also, take the cylinder head, have them install new valve stem seals, recut the valve seats and perform a 3 angle valve grind.

Chances are, he sunk the wheeler and your probably going to have camshaft wear, along with the cam journals (also check these)

I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom end needs torn down and cleaned out as well.

PS-lose the friend, unless he's paying for it :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tear it down, pull the cylinder, take it to a machine shop. Have them measure it to see if it needs bored. From there you will know the necessary measures to take.

Also, take the cylinder head, have them install new valve stem seals, recut the valve seats and perform a 3 angle valve grind.

Chances are, he sunk the wheeler and your probably going to have camshaft wear, along with the cam journals (also check these)

I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom end needs torn down and cleaned out as well.

PS-lose the friend, unless he's paying for it :)
I completely agree. I have ridden the HECK out of my 2016 Rancher (250 hours) of HARD riding and it still runs like day 1...and NO SMOKE.

I have the same question, why isn't your friend fixing it?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
gonna agree with the gang here ^^, he should fix it ( pay for the repairs ), and loose him if he does not offer to pay for it. it was sunk would be my guess.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would add, don't expect to get full price. It is an abused, damaged machine. Unless you go through it 100%, and unless you misrepresent it, it isn't worth full price. My opinion- your "friend" should buy it from you, for full price, or compensate you for the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Yep, sunk. Split the cases, clean it out and fix it properly. Don't forget to clean the internal plumbing within the oil cooler, if equipped - not the external fins.

Rick

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I would dump sugar mixed with water in his vehicle gas tank if he doesn't buy that quad from you for full retail price.. HE WRECKED IT.. He is a pile of shi(# if he doesn't.. Besides the needing a complete bottom to top rebuild on the motor. God knows what he did to the transmission and the diffs..

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Agreed sunk, If that's EFI you've got sensors and and possibly a throttle body and ECM to replace.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is for the advice everyone, i haven't talked to him in a while and , if course, he didnt pay me a cent for it. But I've read some more and realized that just letting oil sit on top of the piston is a stupid way to test the rings lol I took the entire top end off and removed the piston and cylinder. From what I can tell the cylinder looks fine but the bottom half of the piston is pretty scarred up. Any reason as to why the piston would be scarred but the cylinder isn't? Im posting pics of each in a few minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is for the advice everyone, i haven't talked to him in a while and , if course, he didnt pay me a cent for it. But I've read some more and realized that just letting oil sit on top of the piston is a stupid way to test the rings lol I took the entire top end off and removed the piston and cylinder. From what I can tell the cylinder looks fine but the bottom half of the piston is pretty scarred up. Any reason as to why the piston would be scarred but the cylinder isn't? Im posting pics of each in a few minutes.

Here's the pics

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts

Here's the pics

your piston is trashed !, your cylinder is scored !, odd's are, he sunk it, got crap in the oil, and now your rings are shot, as well as your piston. i'd also bet your lower engine has trash in it ?!. AND NOW YOU KNOW WHY YOU HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THIS FRIEND !!..LOL. the motor could have been ran with low oil ?, but as I said, i'd bet he sank it, then it's all down hill from there. unless you fix it right ?, I don't see you getting full price when you sell it , unless your not truthful with the buyer ??. this atv needs a motor over haul bro !. no telling what else needs replacing/fixing ?.

Reactions: Jeepwm69

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I agree with the guys here that say get compensation from your friend.....even small claims court. I do not, repeat, do not agree with revenge.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Best case scenario you need to have the top end bored, new piston, rings, gaskets.

If he sank it, which I'm 99.9% sure he did, there is probably grit in the bottom of the motor and the only way to get it out is to tear the whole motor down and clean it out.

My suggestion is, if you just want to get rid of it, is to sell it as is. If you put a new top end on it and try to sell it without divulging that it's been sunk, that would be crooked/dishonest. If you tell someone it's been sunk, you won't get much for it even with a new top end on it.

Sell it as is, honestly telling what happened to the buyer, and find better friends.

If you loaned it to him the responsibility is yours. I don't loan my stuff to anyone that I am not 100% sure will make it right if they tear up my stuff.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Call your friend and ask him what he did. He can tell you if he ran it at 20,000 rpm's for an hour or if he sank it in water; also if he changed the oil or did anything else to hide the damage. You might get a helpful clue this way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked after I found out it was smoking. He said all he was doing was riding it... but knowing him, and the jacka$$ that he is, I'm sure he probably sank it. He said he changed the oil, which im assuming was to try and hide it. When I bought it, i left the U.S. before I had a chance to change out the break-in oil and he took it out like that. Which im guessing is partly why it's messed up, cause the oil broke down and didn't protect anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I knew it had been sunk if would just pull it apart, but I don't for sure know and I don't wanna do all that work if I don't have to

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Well there's the easy way and the right way.

If you're "sure he probably sank it" then not disclosing that to a buyer is dishonest.

Slap a top end on it and put it up for sale, but if you don't disclose what you've said here I don't have much respect for you. Tell the buyer that it "might have been sunk" at the very least.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts