Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 rancher 4x4 DCT EPS . I bought it used with 10hrs on it about 6 weeks ago. It shifted fine when I got it but now seems to bog down in 1 2 3 and 5th gear when in EPS and auto mode. Has anyone had this issue? The bike now has 35-40 hrs on it. I have never had a problem with Honda and now regret getting a ES and auto bike. The bike has never been in the mud or water, light trail use only! Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
There are more knowledgeable guys on here than me for this but my first step would be to change oil/fluid and necessary filters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So it doesn't bog in 4th gear? Is the rear brake hung up or locked on? Have you changed the oil since purchasing? If so what oil did you use? I would call Honda and see they can help you warranty wise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure if Honda is still using this mechanism but I've heard that the spring behind the ES button sometimes gets out of place somehow and causes shifting problems. Like I said, I'm not sure if the 2016 models have this spring mechanism but you may want to give it a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a 2016 rancher 4x4 DCT EPS . I bought it used with 10hrs on it about 6 weeks ago. It shifted fine when I got it but now seems to bog down in 1 2 3 and 5th gear when in EPS and auto mode. Has anyone had this issue? The bike now has 35-40 hrs on it. I have never had a problem with Honda and now regret getting a ES and auto bike. The bike has never been in the mud or water, light trail use only! Any suggestions on what the problem may be?
I have the same machine, 2016 TRX420FA2. I'm so curious. Mine has 2267 miles on it now and 262.3 hours and I have had zero issues - the transmission has been perfect. I'm not trying to rub it in, I'm saying something must be amiss... Maybe it's just depressed because the previous owner didn't ride it? If the engine is bogging down...makes me think it's likely an engine issue. By engine...something with the tuning?
Are you using good gas?
I'm assuming with that few hours on it the air filter is clean?
Has it had the initial break in service, valve adjustment and oil change plus other things they check? I had my 100 mile/20 hour initial done at the dealership where I bought it.
Tires aired up good and brakes not hung up?
Has a pack rat made a nest in the intake somewhere?
Is something plugging the exhaust?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with Creed. Before we all panic, lets look for something simple, check the basics.... bad gas, potato stuck in the exhaust, fouled plugs...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts