Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some shifting issues on my 2016 Rubicon. I have checked various connectors like the angle sensor, speed sensor, shift motor, etc. and they are all clean. Below are some of the symptoms I see.

1). When this occurs I get the dash on the screen.
2). No response from shifter buttons in either auto or ESP mode.
3). If I turn it off and back on I get a response from the shift buttons if I am in ESP mode but not auto. In ESP mode when you shift down to neutral it will briefly go in neutral then back to the dash. Sometimes you can get it in neutral but that is rare. Also I have to cycle the key several times as it goes "dead" after a few shift attempts.
4). The first few times this happened there was no codes flashing, but every so often when the problem occurs it starts giving me 2 long dashes and 3 short. I assume that is a code 23? I looked up code 23 but it said it was an O2 sensor. I wouldn't think that would be the problem and like I said I do not always get a code.
5). I have noticed if I unplug the ground from the battery for ten or fifteen minutes it will clear the problem for a while but it keeps coming back. Battery voltage is good, I have put a charger on it and did some testing but that did not help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a manual and it was for the most part useless for this issue as there was no method listed to use a voltmeter to verify voltages or resistance. It just said to plug in the MCS diagnostic tool and read the voltage as you manipulate the sensor to make sure it increases and decreases. I don't have one and don't want to spend the money for something I would probably never use again. I did find that code 23 indicated an issue with the angle sensor circuit or 02 sensor circuit. The manual basically said it was either a wiring issue, the angle sensor or the ECU for code 23. The wiring looked good so decided to just replace the angle sensor since that was the cheapest option. I test rode it for about a half hour using the automatic mode and manual mode and so far so good. Fingers crossed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts