Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jacked up the front of my 4wheeler today, the driver front tire will free spin in 4x4 whereas the passenger front tire is locked in. I can hold the passenger front tire from pulling by hand with it jacked up, the driver front tire doesn’t even try to pull, could it be the axle stripped or am I going to need a dif?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frozen caliper if your a mud rider, done wheel bearing. take caliper off open pads up and see if wheel move feely
No thats in 4wd only the passenger front will engage, in 2wd they will both spin freely. The front wheel isn’t locked up, I should have said only the front passenger side on the 4wd is engaging and I can hold the passenger tire from pulling with it in 4x4 and off the ground and the driver front tire doesn’t even try to pull.

· Registered
620 Posts
Hondas don't have dif locks....they are 3wheel drive until you lightly press front brake lever and it's torque pressure locks it...old unknown sercript. Go climb a hill and find out. Nothings wrong with it. I have a 420 irs dct 2015 rancher. It's the same way. So was my rincon 680.

· Registered
49 Posts
I agree with oldskool83. It’s a regular differential, just like the older cars that didn’t have limited slip diff. One wheel will always be free and one will be driving. Old trick in a two sheep drive car when you were stuck was to pull on the parking brake gradually to get the wheel that wasn’t driving to drive and hopefully get you out of a mess.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hondas don't have dif locks....they are 3wheel drive until you lightly press front brake lever and it's torque pressure locks it...old unknown sercript. Go climb a hill and find out. Nothings wrong with it. I have a 420 irs dct 2015 rancher. It's the same way. So was my rincon 680.
The 4x4 doesn’t work at all in the mud or on a hill, when I jack it up and there is no load on it the RF will spin but I can easily stop it from spinning. you can have it off the ground rev it in gear the rear tires will spin, the right front tries with little force and the left front is free as if it doesn’t even have a axle hooked to it.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it dont do what I say above somthing stripped prob. I see you have huge wheel which is not helping a honda.
I got it apart and the axle is stripped and there’s a gear in there that I recon the axle slides into right inside the housing was broke I got the pieces out I’m gonna get the whole diff out hopefully tomorrow or this weekend.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOOK up part numbers on partzilla.com I want to say NO since 2015+ was a new body style.
I got the diff off and split, everything looked good ring gear was fine but inside of ring gear the gear on left side was broke so clean it looked as if it was cut. I can’t not find a diff anywhere used and the ole lady ain’t about to let me drop $500+ on it we just had our 5th youngin and moneys tight. I know where a few older diffs are 2008 being the oldest. Can I tear the diffs down and pull the parts from them? I was wondering if the mounts and sensors was what’s different on the newer diffs and maybe the internals are the same?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts