Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
They went with the same motor because it is cheaper.
Ah, that makes sense! Is there any chance of Honda releasing more ATV updates this summer? Or will the next unveiling be for 2016 models next summer?
Well according to their website, the only utility atv they haven't announced for 2015 yet is the Recon... I wonder if it's getting an update?????....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Can anyone comment about the automatic transmission. Does the specs look like the Rancher ATV's Transmission, if so I was told that that would be the quad's Achilles heel. The AT Ranches from what guys that have had them said that it is away trying to find the right gear to be in.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Can anyone comment about the automatic transmission. Does the specs look like the Rancher ATV's Transmission, if so I was told that that would be the quad's Achilles heel. The AT Ranches from what guys that have had them said that it is away trying to find the right gear to be in.

Yes it is the DCT similar to the Rancher AT. With a sub transmission for Hi/Lo. It says in the specs it has 2 shift maps that it will automatically choose between for aggressive or just cruising. You can always shift it yourself with the ES buttons.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm not going to say there aren't situations where it might not find the right gear, but even in auto mine doesn't jump back and forth between gears much. The biggest problem with that trans is that its high geared.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well the low range should cure the high gear problem!! So if I read it right you should have 10 forward gear possibility's and 2 reverse!! If that isn't enough to pull 27" to 28" tires nothing will!!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Unless they have it geared even higher than the current DCT and low range isn't much of a reduction. It's too early to tell, I'd certainly like to have a look at the service manual for it before making a purchase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well I guess if it has the manual option then that's ok. I think if they would have stayed with the current transmission and the 499 cc, my order would be in right now. However, I want to wait and see the reviews on this bike before I drop $10 000 for a 475 cc machine.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
The Hondamatic was a junk transmission, they should have dropped it 10 years ago. It has NO advantages over the DCT, it was not serviceable, and soaked up all the extra power that 499 made. If you can make more RWHP with less cc's, then that's a GOOD THING. If HP numbers are what your after, man are you ever barking up the wrong tree.

AC 450 - 33.4hp
AC 500 - 34.7hp
AC 550 - 38.9hp

Can-am 450 - 38hp
Can-am 500 - 45.6hp

2001-2014 Rubicon - 33.4hp
2015 Rubicon/Foreman - 28.7hp

Polaris 400 - 29.5hp
Polaris 550 - 40.2hp
Polaris 570 - 43.7hp

Suzuki KQ500 - 38.2hp

Yamaha 550 Grizzly - 36.8hp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, the 475cc is on the very bottom of the HP list compared to the rest of the atv's in its class (and the class below it in some cases). I will be in the market for a new atv in about 3 years. I'm hoping Honda will have a new engine or two to choose from with a little more giddyup by then. Problem is, we are talking about Honda here... haha :laugh:

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
The Hondamatic was a junk transmission, they should have dropped it 10 years ago. It has NO advantages over the DCT, it was not serviceable, and soaked up all the extra power that 499 made. If you can make more RWHP with less cc's, then that's a GOOD THING. If HP numbers are what your after, man are you ever barking up the wrong tree.

AC 450 - 33.4hp
AC 500 - 34.7hp
AC 550 - 38.9hp

Can-am 450 - 38hp
Can-am 500 - 45.6hp

2001-2014 Rubicon - 33.4hp
2015 Rubicon/Foreman - 28.7hp

Polaris 400 - 29.5hp
Polaris 550 - 40.2hp
Polaris 570 - 43.7hp

Suzuki KQ500 - 38.2hp

Yamaha 550 Grizzly - 36.8hp
I'd take the Rubi/Hondamatic with that extra 6 hp,and multi gearing options over the 475cc engine option any day...6 hp is a nice chunk of added power when you factor in power to weight,plus an automatic increases the torque at all rpms...Wish they would have made the Hondamatic serviceable/rebuildable as it is a pretty stout tranny with little issues after the 01 models...That 4 valve head revs faster,higher,and smoother than the 475 ever has(I've owned both at the same time,compared them,and built both)...Not a big fan of the new styling,but it is new,and less stale looking than the previous offerings by Honda...I'd certainly pass on the first year model,and let the bugs come to the top to see what its issues are before I dropped the change for a new Rubi...

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Just noticing the weight on the new Rubi now, she's a little bit fat....

500 Rubicon 679lbs
500 Rubicon EPS 696lbs
500 Rubicon EPS Deluxe 688lbs
500 Rubicon DCT 703lbs
500 Rubicon DCT EPS 719lbs
500 Rubicon DCT EPS Deluxe 712lbs

You'll notice they saved about 7-8lbs on the deluxe model, I assume from switching to aluminum wheels.

Now either it's a little on the heavy side, or Honda's specs are the most honest. The 550 Grizzly EPS is listed at 648lbs curb weight. The Suzuki 500 is 661lbs. The Can-am 500 is actually quite a bit heavier at 728lbs dry, as well as the 550 Polaris at 733lbs dry, but these are both making far more HP with similar displacement to make up for that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Gotta think that the 500 Rubicon DCT IRS will be the death knell for the Rincon as it currently exists. Maybe they'll pull the engine and DCT from the CTX700 or NX750 as the basis for a new Rincon. Looks like Honda is moving away from slush boxes for the dependability of a clutched geared transmission. The DCTs should be the most reliable auto-shifting transmissions in an ATV for work or play. Combined with IRS, EFI, a locking front diff and a geared low range, that's a hard package to beat in the utility ATV world..

Also wonder if the Rancher 420 AT IRS is an endangered species.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gotta think that the 500 Rubicon DCT IRS will be the death knell for the Rincon as it currently exists. Maybe they'll pull the engine and DCT from the CTX700 or NX750 as the basis for a new Rincon. Looks like Honda is moving away from slush boxes for the dependability of a clutched geared transmission. The DCTs should be the most reliable auto-shifting transmissions in an ATV for work or play. Combined with IRS, EFI, a locking front diff and a geared low range, that's a hard package to beat in the utility ATV world..

Also wonder if the Rancher 420 AT IRS is an endangered species.
I was just looking at the nc700x yesterday wondering the same thing! That 700 (670cc to be exact) has around 51hp and 45lb ft torque. That is what I am looking for. Not too much, but more than enough for me. Would it be difficult to make that fit in an ATV chassis coming out of a street bike frame?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts