Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so I recently bought a rancher that the guy said needed clutches. I bought new clutch disks and plates as well as a new drum and weight assembly. I put all this on and new oil everywhere and when I go to test drive it it does not want to go when it’s in gear. It acts like I’m holding the brake and it’s trying to go. I jacked the back tires up and put it in gear to see what it would do and the tires rolled a quarter of a turn the kind of locked up and starts shaking trying to turn. Only way I could move the fourwheeler was in reverse. Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
Registered
134 Posts
You said you replaced the centrifical clutch weight assembly and the drum it goes in. There is a one way bearing in there, it allows the "drum" to only spin one way. Sounds like you have it in backwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was sure to check that as well. I Checked the manual and I made sure the weights would only turn counterclockwise in the drum

·
Super Moderator
38,373 Posts
I was sure to check that as well. I Checked the manual and I made sure the weights would only turn counterclockwise in the drum
if you decide to pull the cover back off, lift the weight arms out of the centrifugal clutch, look very closely at the one-way clutch bearing, it should have the words '' this side out '' facing you, looking right at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked that before it was put back in. It does have that facing me with it in the drum. Even has an arrow showing which way it should turn. And I checked to see if that was right too

·
Super Moderator
38,373 Posts
either you installed the clutches wrong ?, or..its something inside the engine. this is why I will never own a fully auto atv..if the transmission is bad ?, they can not be serviced, your forced to buy a whole new transmission, and that my friend is not cheap !..lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts