Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Foreman 500.

I have a tendency to ride through the puddles and water holee on the trail. Nothing major, probably never over the wheels. Never have had any issues.

Recently, 2 things have started happening after riding through a water hole on the trail or if it gets wet.

01) engine light blinks amber and the gear indicator shows a horizontal line. the ATV still runs find unless, you shut it off then it won't start. the gear indicator is a horizontal line. I think it cant determine if its in a gear or not. It won't even start if you hold the right brake , like normal when it is in gear. If I wait awhile , it will start up or if I tow it a ways it will start again.

02) the EPS has stopped working. sometime the EPS light is on and sometimes it is not, either way EPS is not working. A friend of mine looked at it and said the EPS-ECU and the EPS unit is shot from being wet so much and needs replaced. " NOT CHEAP". I don't want to replace them , if they are going to failed again just from getting wet. It seems weird them getting wet , would make them fail, you thing the would be sealed.

If there a way to "water proof" the connections?

I guess I can live with out EPS.

Thoughts / suggestions

·
Registered
749 Posts
The engine light and gear shift blink is giving you a code. You have to count the blinks and look it up in a service manual and it will tell you what is wrong..

But.. since it is only happening when you are going threw water? Then I guarantee you have a connection getting wet. Go threw, take all electrical connections apart, make sure they are dry and clean and then put dielectric grease around the edge of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a tendency to ride through the puddles and water holee on the trail. Nothing major, probably never over the wheels.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hum...I would think it should handle that with no issue. Have you fully charged the battery to see if voltage, etc., may be playing tricks on you? At the same time, I would consider drying the unit real well and connect/disconnect all wiring and assemble with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My Rubicon won't start if the -- is showing in the gear selector. I found rocking it back and forth a bit it will pop into N. I think that's why when you tow it a ways it starts because it gets it back into neutral or a gear. However does the -- blink or stay steady? I believe the blinky indicates an error where the solid is just not in gear. As the others have stated, take the connectors apart and clean the and add some dielectric grease. There is a connector that is mounted low on the frame. I THINK that is the one that goes to the PCM and tells what gear the trans is in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

-We put direct 12v power to the power steering unit, by passing the EPS-ECU unit and the EPS unit didn't do anything. Thinking the EPS unit is burnt up.

- No exactly sure how to check the EPS-ECU unit.

- Over the next day or so I am going to take the all the connectors a part, clean and dry them. Add dialectic grease and see what we get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts