Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my fourwheeler leaking oil out of the oil overflow near the water pump and checked the dipstick which was also way high. No I didn’t overflow it when it was changed last which was last fall. I drained the oil and went to add oil in the fill plug and noticed that near where the water pump bolts on it looks like the case is missing a chunk of metal like right where you add oil?? Is this normal or not. Is there a port for where the water pump comes in or is it actually missing a piece of the case. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
It’s hard to tell but it does look like a casting imperfection, I can’t see what would cause such damage in that area other than whacking it with something.
Wait and see what others say, I don’t have a 420 anymore to see how ours looks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I decided to fill it with oil anyway and i put about 3 quarts in and the oil is somehow not making it over to where the dipstick is?? It?s full on the side where you fill and no more oil will go in , then when I pull the dipstick there?s nothing on it!?? How is this possible I don?t understand what is going on it?s like it?s airlocked or something , I checked the breather tube to the air filter box and everything there is all good.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Have you got an inspection camera/bore camera to put inside and have a look? As you say, something is clearly amiss.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So I decided to fill it with oil anyway and i put about 3 quarts in and the oil is somehow not making it over to where the dipstick is?? It?s full on the side where you fill and no more oil will go in , then when I pull the dipstick there?s nothing on it!?? How is this possible I don?t understand what is going on it?s like it?s airlocked or something , I checked the breather tube to the air filter box and everything there is all good.
How is the coolant level in the radiator and overflow tank? When you drained the oil, did you notice any coolant in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reservoir and radiator are both full still so doesn?t seem like coolant which I also originally thought as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts