Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was trail riding the other day and tuned the atv off on a trail, went to turn it back on and wouldn’t start, just can hear the solenoid clicking. At first I thought it was in gear even tho it says N but was able to push and coast all the way home. Checked battery connection and am getting 12.5 volts. bought a new solenoid and still doing the same thing, just clicks. Going to test starter next but any other ideas what it can be?

·
Registered
107 Posts
More than likely the starter. Magnets can fall out and stall it. Test to see if you get battery voltage at the starter when you press the start button. If you are take the starter off and see if you can turn it by hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! that’s the next thing I’m going to try, I’ll update once I do that!
Update it was the starter. Was stuck Wouldn’t turn over by hand, tore it apart and the magnets were broken out of it. Put a new starter in started right up!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep, same thing happened to mine. I troubleshot it, just as you have. Starter magnets are glued in. They had come loose and then got demolished by the starter trying to rotate. Jammed the insides up. The starters on these machines are not great. Mine is a 2012 and I use it around my 5 acres. It doesn’t get a lot of work, and doesn’t have that many hours on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, same thing happened to mine. I troubleshot it, just as you have. Starter magnets are glued in. They had come loose and then got demolished by the starter trying to rotate. Jammed the insides up. The starters on these machines are not great. Mine is a 2012 and I use it around my 5 acres. It doesn’t get a lot of work, and doesn’t have that many hours on it.
Yeah same here just ride around my grandparents 15 acre property. Mine only has around 165 hours. Didn’t think that low of hours would cause a starter to go bad as Hondas are very reliable but it did

1 - 5 of 5 Posts