Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking through this forum for days and have tried everything that I can think of. I had to turn the key multiple times in order to get the atv to fully turn on. The relays under the seat would keep clicking nonstop until I turned the key off. I tried replacing the relays and they made the same clicking noise. When I hear the nonstop clicking noise, the display would flash “- -“ as the gear. I let it sit for a month or so and now the display won’t even turn on. The only thing that works when I turn the key is the headlights and there is no more clicking from the relays. I have opened every electrical connector and cleaned/dielectric greased them and cleaned the grounding spot on the frame and tested it. I took a spare battery and attaches clips to the display and got it to turn on. I have 12V coming to every connector on the atv, including the display connector. I took the display apart and do see any corroding and it still looked brand new inside. My old battery had 12.4V, but I replaced it anyways. I replaced all of the fuses, even though none were blown. I ordered a new display and ignition, but I don’t really know what to do at this point. I haven’t been able to find a wiring diagram either, so if anybody has one they can share, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after 3 days of checking the entire harness and jumping everything with a different battery. I found the culprit. The ignition was not supplying power to the other prong in the connector. I have ordered a new ignition and will report back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sometimes persistence is a better tool than a wiring diagram. Good work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news! Got a new ignition and everything works as normal! Very easy fix, but not very easy diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Good news! Got a new ignition and everything works as normal! Very easy fix, but not very easy diagnosis.
for future reference ?..next time..try tracing power from the battery to the ignition switch ?!..lol. check for power going to ignition switch, AND POWER COMING OUT OF IGNITION SWITCH !. think of it like a light switch in your house, just because your may or may not be getting power to the switch ?, does not mean you are getting power out of the switch !.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not the most mechanically inclined person, but I’m pretty good with electrical systems. Believe it or not, about 5 years ago, I’d find myself replacing entire headlights because a fuse was blown and I never checked it. Thanks for the advise!

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
I’m not the most mechanically inclined person, but I’m pretty good with electrical systems. Believe it or not, about 5 years ago, I’d find myself replacing entire headlights because a fuse was blown and I never checked it. Thanks for the advise!
in this bizz, you will learn all the in's and out's of owning an atv !..lol. wait until you rebuild a motor from scratch, ( you knew it ran before you tore it down ! ), hit the start button..nothing ?..hmmm..after checking everything that could posb stop it from starting ?, you get hit with the stupid brick...and notice you forgot to attach the spark plug wire back onto the spark plug !!..lmfao.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts