Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Tonight I purchased a nice 4x4 ATV for a great price. It was a bargain because it is having an issue with the fuel. It will start and run for 15-20 seconds and then shut down. I found that I can keep it running by continuously switching the key off and on. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a bad relay, or maybe a new fuel pump? Any help is greatly appreciated, even if you can only offer a starting point to help diagnose this issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Every time you turn the key off and on, it's priming the pump. Sounds like a pump or pressure issue. I would start with a new fuel filter. If it hasn't been running in a while, I bet you have ethonol jelly in the tank and pump. I wouldn't just replace the pump and filter until you drain & clean the tank throughly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That will give me a starting point. It never crossed my mind that ethanol would affect fuel injection, and the previous owner did let it sit for a while. Regardless, I do need to drain and clean the tank. If I'm not mistaken, he said that it sat for a couple of months before he noticed the problem, and that has been two months also. At best, that gas is at least 4 months old. Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use Seafoam treatment in my fuel over the winter for all of my machines that will remain fueled over the cold season (ATV, snow blower, mower). That's because my usage rate is so irregular that they might go months between usages. In the warm weather, the snow thrower is completely defueled. I use the last of the winter's treated fuel to run the tiller in the garden since once the garden is tilled, it's done until the growing season is over.

My 2016 Rancher is currently fueled with treated gas. I"m toying with keeping treatments going for it throughout the year since usage can be uneven. I only use the machine on my acreage and am not a trail/recreational rider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.