Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought an 03 TRX250EX that needs an engine rebuild, so I believe she will be heading out the door pretty soon. Found a 2013 TRX250 electric shift, title in hand with around 20 hours on it. Guy said his wife rolled it and it bent the frame. Said it's maybe 1/2 an inch, but it makes one side of the plastics not fit right.
A quick google search shows the frames from 07-14 will fit and sure enough there's some on Ebay.
Considering pulling the trigger on it. He said he would take $1300 for it since the frame will need to be repaired. KBB has it ranging between 2100 and 2800.
Any suggestions? Concerns? Things I should watch out for?
Title won't do me much good since if I replace the frame, the VIN #s will be different, unless of course I find a frame with a title.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Can you post some pics ?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Pictures were helpfull, can you get lower shots of the rack/fender mounts and suspension Front and back Does she dog leg ? (run side ways)

From the second pic the rear rack looks to be down on the left and the front clip looks to be shifted to the left, looks like it took a good role, can't make out if the handle bars are bent.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Has he indicated how it drives or what he notices in the unit? The pics looks like a relatively normal unit so curious how bad it actually is so you how much more is broken/damaged along with a bent frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what he told me it runs and drives as normal. Doesnt pull to one side or anything while driving. He said the only thing he's noticed is that the plastics don't fit right, he said it's about half an inch off.
For the asking price at $1300 it seems like a steal. Granted it would be a lot of work removing everything and switching it to a different frame - I would only have around $1550 in it after everything. KBB has this valued at $3000 and I've seen several 06-07 models selling for 2500 in my area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to the guy today, he went out and looked at the frame and told me the main section of the frame is still straight, the only part that is bent is the part of the frame that holds the front plastics and rack on. He said he went full throttle on it and the four wheeler drove completely straight.
Planning to meet him this weekend and pick it up pending everything he has said is true and the test drive goes well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked her up today. The frame is NOT bent. The only part bent is where the front rack connects to the frame, those bars are bent. Planning to replace the front bumper and it will probably look brand new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned the carb and took it out for a ride at the off road park yesterday. Noticed wheel had a little wobble in it on the side it was flipped on. Took the wheel off and put it on the other side to test it and the wobble stayed with the same wheel. Wheel is bent, ordering a new one today.
It performed excellent at the park yesterday. Got stuck three times but my 4x4 was slipping and sliding as well from all the mud.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frame may end up being bent a little bit.
Hopefully not enough where I won't be able to just bend it back.
Any ideas on where to look first?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Edit:
I found the frame bend. It is about 1/8-1/4 inch off. The whole front end is shifted slightly to the right. Since it is still rideable as is, not sure I will replace the frame. Might try to straighten it out to make it a little closer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts