Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I busted my rear differential and have found a rebuilt one. My question is how hard is it to swap the rear differentials? Any special tools needed for me to do this ? I plan on doing my rear bearings and seals while I've got it apart and also have a 3 in stretch going on it as well. I am attempting to learn to do all my repairs myself so any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow! It must have hit a big rock really hard to break the case like that.

I don't know what you mean about "3 in stretch". Do they sell longer axles for it? It has a solid rear axle, which means you will have to take everything apart to replace either the axle or the final gear drive. It is not really a differential because the rear wheels are locked together.

Anyway, the service manual lists about 20 special tools you need to take apart the final drive mechanism. It looks like it will be very difficult.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! It must have hit a big rock really hard to break the case like that.

I don't know what you mean about "3 in stretch". Do they sell longer axles for it? It has a solid rear axle, which means you will have to take everything apart to replace either the axle or the final gear drive. It is not really a differential because the rear wheels are locked together.

Anyway, the service manual lists about 20 special tools you need to take apart the final drive mechanism. It looks like it will be very difficult.
I think the bearing failed and caused the gears to bind inside the case and busted it because it's the top of the case that busted. The 3" stretch will be extending the rear swing arm out 3" more to better clear the tires I'm running and to eliminate the rubbing 😅 I have a rebuilt rear final drive coming and just want to swap them out and wasnt sure if there was any special tools needed to swap them out. Looks straight forward but hate to get In the middle of it and not have the tools i need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts