Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Manual shift Foreman. The shift lever clicks like it is shifting into a gear but nothing happens. It won't go out of neutral into either first or reverse. There is also no stop. You can keep shifting forever in either direction. Again, it feels the same way it does when you shift a working manual transmission. You feel and hear a click for each press of the shift lever in either direction.

I've done a few rebuilds now, and though I don't know exactly what the problem is, I'm thinking no matter what the fix is, it is going to require splitting the crankcase. Does anybody see this issue any differently? Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I did have to crack the case and I found the problem. The reverse and 1st gears on the countershaft were jammed onto their bushing and would not turn independently. My guess is it was shifted very quickly from either 1st to reverse or reverse to 1st (probably reverse to 1st as that would not require pushing the reverse button). I'll try to post a pic of the wonky gears. I took a video but no snaps and I haven't yet figured out how to extract a photo. I'll probably have to download a program.

This brings me to my question. The parts have arrived and I am reassembling. Does anyone have a diagram of the gear and shift fork placement for this Honda? For the record, it is a 2016 TRX500FM-1. (I put the wrong model in the title.) I have a manual for a 2005-06 Foreman, but there clearly were some changes and I'd prefer to do this once.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You can see that there is a larger gap on the right than on the left. The top gear is mashed onto the bushing and the two gears will not spin independently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts