Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAM.... not came...Okay.. I have rebuilt a couple of early model 400EXs and know that in fact they use a decompression plunger in the head near the cam sprocket.... I recently purchased a 2012 400x that's in parts and am looking everything over before I purchase parts and reassemble... looking at the head I noticed the hole where normally in a 400ex contains the spring and decompression plunger... but it'missing in this bike... so I venture onto bike bandit to go to order it and it's in the diagram but not listed in the parts as it is for a 400ex... so my question is does a 2012 model use one?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Strange. . . . Does the camshaft have the decompression mechanism? Is there a hole where the plunger and spring goes? I so I'd say yes it does

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the cam does have the decompression lobe and also the head does have that hole.. it was just odd to me that it wasn't listed with the diagram... and if I upgrade the cam then do I even need it?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes the cam does have the decompression lobe and also the head does have that hole.. it was just odd to me that it wasn't listed with the diagram... and if I upgrade the cam then do I even need it?
If you upgrade with WEB, HOTCAMS, MAGNUM, ect. you will not need the decompression mechanism.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts