Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 420 that has some sort of electrical problem. When you turn the key everything acts like it low on power like if the battery would be dead , fuel pump can't run light on dash barley on ect. Now its a brand new battery all the terminals are cleaned. If I jump the started solenid the starter turns over strong, but the motor dont start due to fuelpump not running and no power for spark.I know the ground goes directly to the starter. Then to the frame ... does anyone in here know anything else to check I exhausted everything I know... Could it be a rely or a loose connection in the harness?

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Run a jumper wire from battery + to the black and red wire on your coil and see if it powers up. There are quite a few components that can cause what you describe.

Credit to Melatv for that trick. He helped me through a similar situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Run a jumper wire from battery + to the black and red wire on your coil and see if it powers up. There are quite a few components that can cause what you describe.

Credit to Melatv for that trick. He helped me through a similar situation.
the coil powers up when hard wired, so does the fuel pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't tried having both coil and fuel pump hard wired at the same time to see if it runs like that. I only had one jumper wire and tried them independently. Even the starter button doesn't have enough power to engage the starter solenoid. I can get the starter to crank by jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver is the most I can get it to do.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
The jumper from battery + to coil will bypass the fuel injection relay, the bank angle sensor, and possibly other electrical gremlin sources.

The wire to the coil will backfeed to other components.

Here's my old thread where I couldn't get my 07 to start.

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...spark-no-fi-temp-light-when-key-switched.html

Like I said, Melatv is the expert on the EFI machines. Maybe he'll be along to advise you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK jumper from battery + to coil lets it go through normal intilize steps temp light and engine light come on all the humming but bike doesnt start can crank from starter button with the code?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Run a large ground to the battery from the frame, make sure there is no resistance in the ground to frame to (-) post. See if this cures your low voltage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well they figured it out it was a bad plug on the wire harness. It was the round one with 4 wires in it under the handle bars. Back up and running :icon_ laughup:
Jason, do you have a pic of the culprit? I have a similar situation. I have no lights, dash or head, getting spark but no fuel. Pump dose kick on with key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.