Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just given a 2010 rancher 420. The guy said "it needs a new transmission." I have been reading through the forum here and have come across some really good info.
1. When I turn the key on there is a "-" in the shift spot on the display. It throws a 2-3 code which I read was the angle sensor.
2. I tried to manually shift but it doesnt seem to budge.
3. I took off the shift motor cover and was expecting to see grease from what ive read, but there was nothing, clean as a whistle.
4. with the cover off, I tried to shift manually again with the provided wrench. I was able to shift and the digital display shows -, 2, 3, blank, 5. I was able to get it to briefly move (not sure how at all) and then it sounded like it locked up and died.

So from here what is the next best step? Should I replace the angle sensor and the shift motor? and then do the grease fix I've read about?

Maybe the guy was right but In my experience there is usually a simpler solution, but I guess not always!

Thanks for any help with this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay. So today I replaced the angle sensor. No difference. I will replace the shift motor next. The only gear that I can consistently get it into is 2nd. Sometimes 3,4,5 will show on the display but never 1st or N

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update....I replaced the shift motor but now I seem to have a new problem. the shift motor wont engage at all, I cant even hear it trying to shift. I checked the fuses under the seat and they were all good from what I could see. I put the old shift motor back on and still nothing....so I charged the battery to 100%, same thing. nothing from the shift motor. Is there a fuse Im missing? Please, any help would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must be able to shift it with the manual shift tool, or the electric shift will not work.
So does that mean that something is wrong internally with the transmission? When I manually shift it goes from 2-5 (randomly it will show some but not the others) but never to first.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It must engage each gear ratio and allow you to drive in each gear, regardless of the Display.
If you cannot drive in each gear, then the transmission may be broken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take the reduction gear housing off and make sure the selector shaft is on the right place. The spindle gear can be aligned right but the shaft moved forward and will rotate just a little bit up or down. That will cause the shaft not to select gears. You can test it and see if you get the gears manually before you put the reduction gear housing back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the mileage on the bike, mine is giving me a headache as well. Mine has got 20 000 km on the clock. I see excessive wear on the spindle gear on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the mileage on the bike, mine is giving me a headache as well. Mine has got 20 000 km on the clock. I see excessive wear on the spindle gear on mine.
Sorry I never saw this! Mine has about 8900 miles.
I just got back around to looking at this bike. The selector shaft is definitely in the right spot. When I attempt to manually shift with the shift motor on it won't shift in either direction, with it off it endlessly shifts and doesn't show any gears on the screen.
I'm at a loss. Does it need a transmission rebuild? Is that something that is doable or not worth it. Anything else I can try?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Take the shift motor off and the little cover it it bolts to. Then take the little gears out too. With all that out, then try to manually shift it. Remember you must push the bike backward and forward So the wheels roll a little to complete the gear change. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Forget about the shift motor and the angle sensor. If you can't shift the transmission manually up and down through each gear you have internal problems. Could be in the shift ratchet mechanisim or in the gears in the transmission. Only way to find out is tear into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts