Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 arctic cat 550 TRV. EFI

This ATV has had a problem for about 2 years now.

Basically the atv will chug and die sometimes when it is started. You have to open the throttle a lot to get it to run without dying when you start it. Then its OK, but over time even when it warms up you need to hit the throttle to prevent it from dying. Then over time you can't start it without holding the throttle open and it will die often when it idles. At this point I will change out the spark plug which will be black with carbon (but not wet). With a new spark plug, it starts and runs great for about 2 tanks of gas. Then the cycles repeats itself. The oil also has gas in it as well. You can smell it and when you drain the oil you can tell its not pure oil.

When the problem gets bad, the ATV stalls ALL the time and is very hard t get going again. You need to hold the throttle wide open. And when the problem gets bad, it seems to be worse when the ATV is warmed up.

Again, once the spark plug is replaced, the problems go away and the old plug is completely carbon fouled.

An interessting thing I noticed is that when the problem is really bad, when I add seafoam it helps the problem. I dont know if that means the fuel isn't igniting properly, the air mixture is wrong etc.. But it should help figure out the problem

Things I've tried
-new spark plugs (I have tried the NGK plugs and BRISK plugs)
-clean and re oiled air filter several times
-I reset all the TPS, idle etc..
-no leaks at the throttle body and it has the updated throttle body boot
-gas from various gas stations
-several fuel injector cleans like sea foam
-there is no codes on the display indicating a problem
-battery is great (new AGM motto battery), battery always kept on battery tender
-

What could it be?
-bad stator?
-fuel pump?
-bad spark plug wire?
-low compression?
-voltage regulator?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add
- I don't idle the machine a log
-its stored in a heated garage and used all year round
-it doesn't smoke when it is running or while warming up
-it doesn't backfire
-when you slowly accelerate it hesitates a bit especially accelarating from a stop slowly.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I would check the fuel pressure using the method outlined in the service manual. If that checks out then I would replace the fuel injector with a new one. I'd be checking valve adjustment often on that motor.... and change the coolant yearly too. Keep an eye on it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check the fuel pressure using the method outlined in the service manual. If that checks out then I would replace the fuel injector with a new one. I'd be checking valve adjustment often on that motor.... and change the coolant yearly too. Keep an eye on it...
I thought fuel injector too. I was told at the dealership the best thing to do if I think its a fuel injector is to just replace it. I asked if I take it off and bring it in will they test it, and they told me to just replace it. I hate throwing money at something and hoping something works.

I;ll check the service manual and see if there is a way to test the pressure. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 09 550 an I'm having almost same issue.. but only cuts out like it isn't taking has when it turns to the right... It's really bad when first taking off but if I turn to left or peddle the throttle it will slowly gain full power an go smooth .. do I need to replace my fuel injectors?? Help plz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts