Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought my new 2010 4x4 420 Rancher with power steering, ES, and soild rear axel I love the ATV and hate the ugly/cheap factory rims. I need some help on buying new wheels I find custom 12x7 front and rear wheels listed for my model but my factory wheels are 12"on the front and 11" on the rear? Does this matter is it Ok to go 12"s all the way around? Any extra tips you guys can give me would be great on wheels and tire buying for this ATV I am new to this whole game. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, it is OK to go with the 12 inch rims all the way around. The important thing is that the front tire height and the rear tire height stays the same. I'm not saying you can't go with taller tires, I'm saying whatever size you use, they need to be the same height from front to back. A lot of people change to the 12 inch rims. I would check out ITP wheels, they make some nice wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
What Helmut was trying to say is if your stock tires are 23" up front and 24" in back, when you increase tire size you must keep the difference the same. So you could go up to 24" in front and 25" in rear. Or 25" in front and 26" in rear... Make sense?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
What Helmut was trying to say is if your stock tires are 23" up front and 24" in back, when you increase tire size you must keep the difference the same. So you could go up to 24" in front and 25" in rear. Or 25" in front and 26" in rear... Make sense?
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but on the Rancher, the tire height will be the same on the front and back. The rims are the only thing that are a different size. I don't know why they made them like that. Stock tire size for the 2010 420 Rancher 4X4 is:

Front -- 24X8-12

Rear --- 24X10-11

So, the tire diameter is the same, but the rim diameter is different. As long as you keep the tire diameter the same, from the front to the back, you can change the rim diameter.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Well then you won't have any issues. The smaller rim might be making more RPMs but the 24" tires will rotate at the same pace. You should be perfectly fine getting 12" all around. Just keep your tire size equal front and back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info one more ??? on rim size. For tires I was looking at 24X8x12 front and 25x10x12 rear. On rims what Width would be good front and back on that size tires? I see 12x7 and 12x8 in the custom rims I like.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thanks for the info one more ??? on rim size. For tires I was looking at 24X8x12 front and 25x10x12 rear. On rims what Width would be good front and back on that size tires? I see 12x7 and 12x8 in the custom rims I like.
On the tire sizes, I wouldn't run different size tire diameters on the front and back. I would get, either the 24 inch or 25 inch, all the way around. The Rancher is supposed to have the same size tire diameter all the way around.

On the rims, those sizes should be OK. 12X7 for the front and 12X8 for the rear.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You will destroy the gears if you run different size tires. Since OEM comes with the same size front and back you must stick to that. Like he said get either 25x8x12 for the front and 25x10x12 for the rear or 24x8x12/ 24x10x12

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, I just bought my new 2010 4x4 420 Rancher with power steering, ES, and soild rear axel I love the ATV and hate the ugly/cheap factory rims. I need some help on buying new wheels I find custom 12x7 front and rear wheels listed for my model but my factory wheels are 12"on the front and 11" on the rear? Does this matter is it Ok to go 12"s all the way around? Any extra tips you guys can give me would be great on wheels and tire buying for this ATV I am new to this whole game. Thanks!
If you lived anywhere remotely close to S.E. PA or Fingerlakes region in NY I would be interested in buying your "cheap" wheels and tires. I need new for mine and don't need anything fancy. As it is dealer wants around $500 bucks for stock set-up. :frown:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really do not see why you cannot run 24" on the front and 25" on the rear. If you were running on paved surface in four wheel drive, I could see why it "could" be hard on the gears. However, running in two wheel drive, it should not make a difference. If you are running in four wheel drive in sand, dirt, or mud, the wheels are spinning or gripping as needed so, again, I don't know why it would make a difference.

Having said all that, my authorized Honda dealer approved and mounted just that combination on my new 2010 420 Rancher. 24x8-12" front and 25x10-12" rear on ITP 12x7 chrome wheels. He never mentioned that this combination would not work. I will bring it to his attention and ask specifically for a ruling the next time I go in to the shop.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I really do not see why you cannot run 24" on the front and 25" on the rear. If you were running on paved surface in four wheel drive, I could see why it "could" be hard on the gears. However, running in two wheel drive, it should not make a difference. If you are running in four wheel drive in sand, dirt, or mud, the wheels are spinning or gripping as needed so, again, I don't know why it would make a difference.

Having said all that, my authorized Honda dealer approved and mounted just that combination on my new 2010 420 Rancher. 24x8-12" front and 25x10-12" rear on ITP 12x7 chrome wheels. He never mentioned that this combination would not work. I will bring it to his attention and ask specifically for a ruling the next time I go in to the shop.
It would be fine in 2wd and might work in 4wd, but I don't understand why anyone would want to take the chance. Why would you want to go with different size tires, from front to rear?

·
Registered
423 Posts
In two wheel it will not matter but if you do put it in four wheel the front and rear gear sets will turn @ two differant speeds and cause ether gear failure or worse tear up you transmission. the only way to run different size tires in four wheel you need to figure out rotaion speed of the tire and the ring and pinion. and change one of the two sets of gears.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just bought the new Rancher myself. I didnt go with the ITP tire and wheel package like I did last time. Im ok with the stock rims. I'll upgrade the tires at some point near winter. Good info for me here. Thanks peeps.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Been looking at wheels and tires for mine also. What's the proper offset, or does it not matter? I'd like the wheels to stick out a bit further rather than go with spacers...anyone know what the factory offset is (2009)?

Still not sold on the mud lites...leaning more toward the Bighorns. I ride on the street quite a bit and it looks like the mud lites would wear out a lot faster.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Still not sold on the mud lites...leaning more toward the Bighorns. I ride on the street quite a bit and it looks like the mud lites would wear out a lot faster.
I've never tried the Bighorns, but I ride on the asphalt a lot, too, and I think the Mudlites last a very long time. They've lasted a lot longer than any other tire that I've used.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've never tried the Bighorns, but I ride on the asphalt a lot, too, and I think the Mudlites last a very long time. They've lasted a lot longer than any other tire that I've used.
O the mudlights will hold up very well, also the dirt devils will too. Can't speek for the big horns never used or been around them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm ordering my wheels and tires tomorrow. Still not 100% on which tire I'm going with. Still leaning towards Bighorns, not just for the pavment, but I've also seen that when riding in deep loose snow, the mud lites have a tendency to dig rather than stay on top.

Anything on the OEM offset? The 12" ITP wheels I'm looking at (black 108's or 212's) all seem to only have a 5x2 offset available. I don't want the fronts to stick out wider than the rears.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts