Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Honda Rancher 420 Fm 4x4. Long story short I took it to the shop to have the case replaced and the shop doing it f**ked me over for 7 months and skipped town on me, plus everyone else he was doing business with. Leaveing me with a half done job and my top end M.I.A. So i purchase a new 1, printed the manual, and went to work. Everything back in place and the engine just turns over but doesn't start. I have went with a new ignition coil, battery(M.I.A TOO), spark plug(replaced 3x), & fuel injector. I still get the same results just turns but won't start. But when i spray gas into the carb and put the air filter back on it start and runs. But when i hit the gas it starts to die. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump but I hear the fuel pump coming on. I'm beginning to give up because of the loot I'm losing. If anyone has any info that could help me I would be unbelievably grateful. Please

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
All sensors and electronic components on the motor (and most of them on the rest of the bike) must be plugged in to the harnesses and functional for the motor to start and run. That means the sensor in the airbox must be plugged in, which explains why the motor will start with the airbox in place.

First step is to go through every connection on the bike and verify that each are clean and fully connected with no bent or pushed in pins. Then go through the troubleshooting steps in the manual for clues to learning the next step.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Let us know what you learn and we'll try to help.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
sorry for your luck bro..chit like this happens every day. if I were to guess ?, I would say your fuel pump is weak ?, or your fuel injector is clogged/bad ?.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If it fires with starter fluid you have a fuel delivery problem.

The 420 fuel pumps kinda suck, and when they sit up a lot of the time the fuel pump will seize up and have to be replaced.

Pull the fuel pump and replace it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
........what jeep said above! Replace the fuel pump or if you feel comfortable to open up the canister and try just replacing the fuel filter since you hear it kicking on ....... but probably the whole pump needs to be changed out like Jeep said.
Sounds like you are getting close buddy don't give up and make sure that airbox sensor is plugged in or it will not start.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I've had two running 420's that sat for a few months while I rebuilt the motors. When I went to start them again the fuel pumps had seized and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I went over all the electrical again today didnt see anything bent or not connect, so I'm going to get another fuel pump and see if that a do the trick. Fingers crossed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts