Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning yall, Ive been having weird problems with my 2009 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 ES lately.

Every now and then, particularly when I go down or up a hill (not an extreme hill, gradual), my ATV will stutter and die like its losing fuel. The kicker is that it will restart in neutral if I turn the key off, turn it back on, and start the 4 wheeler it will idle (I put a bit on the throttle just to make sure it doesnt die) but it will do fine.

However, when I put it into gear and try to take off it will stutter and die again after going a few feet. After maybe 5 minutes or so it'll be fine and goes again.

If I keep on the throttle through everything it will ride all night through the same stuff that it died on earlier in the day.

Things I've checked:

1) Replaced battery (Was dead & wouldnt charge when I went to work on it this weekend.)
2) Checked 1-way clutch (Wont roll back in 1st gear)
3) I checked the fuel filter & replaced it: Old Filter Picture
4) Put dielectric grease on the fuel pump 2p power connector.
5) Fuel vent hose allows air to move through it.
6) I seem to have good fuel flow, Pumped the petcock yesterday swapping the fuel filter out and that shit came pouring till I put it back to "OFF".
---
When I turn to key to on, I can hear the relay click on, but I bought a spare that I can swap in case thats a known problem.

I'm going to put dielectric grease on every connection and check them before I ride this weekend, but wanted to see if yall could come up with anything else it could be.

After my ride, I'll update with if it gave me problems or not.

Regards,

T

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
pull the fuel injector from the fuel rail turn the key on, crank it over a few secs, see if your getting a good amount of fuel from the fuel rail ?, almost sounds like a bad fuel pump ?. the trx420's are bad about having a bad fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
if the pump is working good ?, then your injector is dirty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Shadetree, I'll dig into that tomorrow and see how its lookin'.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Thanks for the advice Shadetree, I'll dig into that tomorrow and see how its lookin'.
your welcome, please keep your thread updated !, as someone else may run into this prob ?, and see your fix !.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Only on hills?

Check your bank angle sensor. It cuts power to the fuel pump in case of rollover.

If you're sitting on the bike, it's under your left leg mounted on the underside of the frame rail.

You can bypass it by jumping the connector.

See if it still does with the BAS bypassed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Jeep,

I did consider this being the problem.

However, I haven't done much electrical work before.

EDIT: Nvm, I figured it out after looking over the wiring harness diagram and fuel system diagram. I'm going to bring stuff to bypass it in my kit so I can do it on the trail if it dies out on me. I'll update if I did this & what the results are when I get back.

Thanks Jeep!

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Melatv's trick.

Run a jumper from + post on battery to black and red wire on coil. That bypasses the fuel injection relay and bank angle sensor.

Also, as shadetree said, your pump could be iffy. The 420 fuel pumps suck. I put a new filter on one not too long ago, it ran great. Let it sit for a month and the pump croaked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Appreciate it Jeep!

Update

Rode like a bat out of hell this weekend. I didnt have any isses with the fuel pump shutting off or anything like that.

Summary

If anyone has this problem, I suggest looking at the fuel pump filter, the relocation kit that Honda sells now stops the problem with that filter being stuck into the bottom of the pump casing.

On the other hand, my shit is now stuck in 2nd gear and flashing. Also it isnt turning anymore. So Ive got some work cut out for me, but I'm going to start a new thread for that. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 Honda TRX 420 fuel injected also. It starts and idles perfectly. Revs good in the garage. When i gun it it takes off thru a couple shifts just fine. Then it starts actling like its running out if fuel. I can feather it to keep running most if the time. Sometimes it just dies and sometimes a back fire. Typically it fires right back up quick.

I put a new fuel pump on and new injector. It cranks perfect, idles perfect, and for most part I can ease around the house real slow. But even then it sometimes loses fuel and going fast is out of the question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts