Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 2009 420 that I'm having a weird shifting issue with. And I'm completely lost.
It's the ESP/auto shift model.
ESP Will only shift up when you let it come back down to a idle. Can't get it any higher than 4th. Down shifts is the same, needs to idle down. Shifts from n to 1 and back and n to reverse and back perfectly normal.
Auto mode will not upshift at.
If you unplug the speed sensor is will shift through 1-2-3 in ESP fine at any speed or rpm, will no go into 4 or 5 though and auto won't work.
New oem angle sensor last year. Not throwing the same symptoms as when it messed up before. Have a new sensor ordered.
Any other ideas? All plugs are clean and have dielectric Greese in them. Grounds clean. No codes flashing. Dosent throw the "-" between gears like when a angle sensor normally goes bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. Drove it a bunch today. Finally threw a code and locked in 4th gear. But it's throwing code 67 and as far as I know that dosent exist. 6 long flashes and 7 quick. Going to dealer tomorrow to scan it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you very much. Couldn't find that anywhere. Found to be a broken wire right by the front vs sensor plug. Front mount on the front end broke and cut a wire. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2009 420 that I'm having a weird shifting issue with. And I'm completely lost.
ESP Will only shift up when you let it come back down to a idle. Can't get it any higher than 4th. Down
ESP Will only shift up when you let it come back down to a idle. Can't get it any higher than 4th. Down shifts is the same, needs to idle down. Shifts from n to 1 and back and n to reverse and back perfectly normal.
Auto mode will not upshift at.
If you unplug the speed sensor is will shift through 1-2-3 in ESP fine at any speed or rpm, will no go into 4 or 5 though and auto won't work.
New oem angle sensor last year. Not throwing the same symptoms as when it messed up before. Have a new sensor ordered.
Any other ideas? All plugs are clean and have dielectric Greese in them. Grounds clean. No codes flashing. Dosent throw the "-" between gears like when a angle sensor normally goes bad.
[/QUOTE]
I am having the same exact issue with mine it's 2010 I can't find the plug you are talking about I see the vs sensor on the rear diff but not the front please help it's driving me crazy[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
Best thing to do with a esp bike with problems is to sell it and get a foot shift ------------ there use to be threads about ES problems on this site , good luck finding them as the site has just been upgraded

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
fishfiles
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing