Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello when im driving around a make a left turn or turn sharp and the tire comes off the ground when it comes back down it makes a pop noise i believe is bad bearing its coming from the left part of the rear axle how do i replace this bearing? can not find a video on it any info thanks!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
your atv has a SRA ?, if so, the left rear wheel needs to come off, remove the axle tube from the differential ( 4 nuts/bolts ) slide the tube off, be careful not to forget to loose or install the large flange washer that rides on the outer axle near the splines, once the tube is off, remove the seal ( you will destroy it unless you have a seal puller ? ), just under the seal is your bearing/bearings, hammer them out from the other end of tube, install new bearing/bearings, slide shim washer/nut on axle, slide tube back on axle, bolt up, wheel on, all done.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
and welcome to the forums.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
that is not a SRA, I did not think the trx420's had them.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
do you know how to remove it from this one?
you really need a service manual, but I just looked your model up, and from what I see, the only bearings you have back there are all in the differential, sooo..a complete rear differential tear down is in order, you should replace all carrier bearings and oil seals while your repairing it.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
is it possible the axle is loose when i rock it side to side it moves in and out
I highly doubt it, what is loose, is the bearings !, once they go ?, then the rest of the rear end follows right behind it !. sooooooooo..tear it down, replace what is bad ( my money says your carrier bearings are going out ), and be done with it. bottom line : you need to replace all differential bearings and oil seals...ALL OF THEM !. and while your at it ?, check/inspect/replace the swing arm bearings, and rear brake bearing and seals :).

Reactions: Jeepwm69

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Yep. 420 SRA rear end is just like the 300 rear end.

Look at D-ray's 300 rear end rebuild on Youtube and it will show you what you need to do.

Like shade said, replace ALL the bearings and seals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts