Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a problem with the reverse on my honda. It freezes and wont go into reverse when below zero at cold start. It will go into reverse after driving for a bit to get the trani moving, but I was wondering if there is a fix for it. It will shift up to any other gear and down from say 5 to neutral with no problems.
Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Won't reverse when cold

I know exactly what's wrong as I had the same problem with my Foreman. I took my Foreman back and forth to the dealer MANY times and they returned it to be each time telling me nothing was wrong. Of course, it wasn't as cold in the dealership's facility.

Anyway, the problem lies in the gear shift box, which is on the outside of the transmission. If you have electric shift, there is a motor on top of the shift box. If you have a manual (foot) shift, then the shift lever goes right in to the shift box.

In the shift box, Honda puts some VERY stiff grease. It is for that reason that things work (move) well at higher temps, (above 20 deg F), and not at lower temps! To fix the problem, take the shift box off (it's generally located on the lower front of your engine). It will have about 4 or 5 #10 bolts holding it on. When you remove it, you will clearly see the grease that Honda puts in it, and you will also see that it looks like dried up gum! Clean and scrape out all that grease and replace it with some nice, new, with Lithium, All-temperature grease. Your problems will be over, and your machine will shift happily ever after; even below zero!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it was really anoying in the morning on a cold day!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey all,
I think I found the problem, theres an external cable that runs from the reverse button, you have to press and pull the brake then shift into reverse, that freezes when below zero. I'l check this out when we have cold weather again.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There must be water in the cable. Try putting cable an chain lube in the end of the cable to get the moisture out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts