Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my Honda let me down, I have had this bike 2 years never done fuel pump or filter. I do always run premium fuel with sea foam added about once a month. I have pulled the injector from the elbow. When I turn the key on should I be getting fuel out of the elbow, I would think yes( I am not) or is there a better way to check fuel pump pressure.

I figured I would start at the injector and work back bike always starts and runs great stored outside.
I went out to the ice hut and it didn't start to come home.
tapped pump it started while idling to warm up for a couple minutes and it died towed home.

Throttle body is still on bike. I am clueless about the injector.

When I turn the key on it sounds like the pump runs for about 5 sec but I guess that is the iac?

Any tips would be great, new to fixing anything fuel injected

sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
pump builds pressure when key is turned on, but no fuel will come out of fuel rail until your cranking it over, not while it's just sitting there with the key on. pull injector, turn key on, make sure fuel is turned on, and at the right setting ?..lol. then try cranking it over, you then should see fuel come out of the fuel rail ?, if it does ?, then your pump is fine, dirty fuel injector would be my guess ?.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pump builds pressure when key is turned on, but no fuel will come out of fuel rail until your cranking it over, not while it's just sitting there with the key on. pull injector, turn key on, make sure fuel is turned on, and at the right setting ?..lol. then try cranking it over, you then should see fuel come out of the fuel rail ?, if it does ?, then your pump is fine, dirty fuel injector would be my guess ?.

Thanks,

I have no fuel when cranking over, gonna pull the pump in the morning take a look and make sure there is power at pump, my challenge will be to find one in stock if it is indeed bad, toronto Ontario just wanted to confirm that I should of got fuel when I cranked it over. Bike was getting harder to start in cold weather a month ago, it started better if I cycled the key twice, was thinking fuel pump but I put a new battery in it and had a great improvement thought the issue was licked ( you can never go wrong with a new battery) don't know how old the other one was. I am pretty careful and fussy about my fuels I own to many gas engines to have to clean carbs every year.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

Thanks,

I have no fuel when cranking over, gonna pull the pump in the morning take a look and make sure there is power at pump, my challenge will be to find one in stock if it is indeed bad, toronto Ontario just wanted to confirm that I should of got fuel when I cranked it over. Bike was getting harder to start in cold weather a month ago, it started better if I cycled the key twice, was thinking fuel pump but I put a new battery in it and had a great improvement thought the issue was licked ( you can never go wrong with a new battery) don't know how old the other one was. I am pretty careful and fussy about my fuels I own to many gas engines to have to clean carbs every year.

fuel pump is bad I bet ?, the trx420's are bad about their fuel pumps not lasting..lol. MAKE SURE TO CHECK ALL YOUR FUSES BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING !.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely will check all possibilities prior to throwing parts at it. I use this as a learning experience to understand the system, knowledge is a good thing. I did check the fuses and need to verify the fuel relay is working. Of course Mother Nature noticed my plow machine is down so I woke up to a foot of snow.i will post updates as it might help someone else. The pressure hose has a retainer and rubber that they say needs replacing, due to no dealers stocking parts have you ever reused these with success ( if I can find a pump)or should I just cry till I can get all the parts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update power and fuel to pump. Found one that I can get Monday for just over 100us canadian stealership wants over 200us and I would get it Wednesday

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Yikes. $$$

Melatv pointed out that running a jumper from + on battery to black/red wire on the coil will bypass the fuel injection relay, so if you do that and the bike will crank, you know the pump is good, and the issue lies further back in the harness somewhere.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes. $$$

Melatv pointed out that running a jumper from + on battery to black/red wire on the coil will bypass the fuel injection relay, so if you do that and the bike will crank, you know the pump is good, and the issue lies further back in the harness somewhere.

Thanks for the tip will remember that for future, pump is off the bike and I have put power direct to pump and it does not run. I am not surprised after talking it apart it was designed to fail, I will be removing pump yearly to drain sediment and change filter, unfortunately I learnt to late that Yes you can change the filter even know the manual does not show this as general service on the 420.
This is evidence that the pump is were all the nasties collect in the system. I am meticulous about my fuels, I will probably install an inline filter between the tank and pump.

This is the fuel from the pump housing! And now the snow is 1 1/2 feet deep lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I await my pump assembly I pulled the assembly apart and fitteled around tapping the pump I did get it to start, guess I'll find a electric pump and rebuild this assembly and throw it on the shelve. If I can but the filter separately for the 500 the pump might be available without the assembly

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well fixed one problem now I have another, I think in my inexperience I inserted the iac incorrectly and I think I damaged it. It use to be loud when I turned the key on, now it is not. I have not got the bike to fire with the new pump just charging the battery. I now have fuel pressure and spray thru the injector. Posting here now to reread the manual.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
dang. one step forward, two back huh ?. I sure loveeeee carb's instead of fuel injection..lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything I touch today breaks, the machine is running...idling to quick so yes I damaged the aicv. Had to boost even after charging battery,it appears my new battery is toast, according to my load tester. Off to see about warranty. The good news is I managed to clear some snow from the plow man even with the high idle.Did I mention the electric start on my snowblower is grinding today.lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, new battery allowed me to plow the rest of the snow abit hard on the bike shifting with the high idle, now to find an air control valve, dealer wants 3x (and no stock)what I can get it from the us. If Honda Canada doesn't start to address this issue I would have a hard time purchasing new in the future.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Everything I touch today breaks, the machine is running...idling to quick so yes I damaged the aicv. Had to boost even after charging battery,it appears my new battery is toast, according to my load tester. Off to see about warranty. The good news is I managed to clear some snow from the plow man even with the high idle.Did I mention the electric start on my snowblower is grinding today.lol

snow blower starter grinding ?, whats next...spark plug fouled on the rake ?..lmfaoooo..too damn funny bro..i like your attitude for sure :).

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
and sounds about like my luck on some projects !!!..spec this '05 trx500fm, she's been fighting me every step of the way..one problem after another ?, soooo..it's not just you bro !..lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's frustrating but it teaches me along the way, took the iacv out cleaned inspected watched it work reinserted and now the bike is idling proper, so I did learn, since I replaced the battery I checked the charging voltage and the bike is overcharging so I am thinking I need a reciter, the manual mentions a alternator charging coil, I am not familiar with this item. I will go thru the tests but 17v would indicate the alternator working just not regulating. Hope you are at least 2 steps forward and one back as well. I am making headway. I am not sure if high voltage would damage the fuel pump, or a damaged fuel pump might cause damage to rectifier. Feel like I'm getting to the root of the problem anyway. Didn't have a chance to plow by my icehut and with all the snow and warm weather I was treated to this at my hut today.

It's on 6" runners on 2x4s. Needless to say the old battery will go back in the bike till I find the issue. I am mobile it's a start!

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
It's frustrating but it teaches me along the way, took the iacv out cleaned inspected watched it work reinserted and now the bike is idling proper, so I did learn, since I replaced the battery I checked the charging voltage and the bike is overcharging so I am thinking I need a reciter, the manual mentions a alternator charging coil, I am not familiar with this item. I will go thru the tests but 17v would indicate the alternator working just not regulating. Hope you are at least 2 steps forward and one back as well. I am making headway. I am not sure if high voltage would damage the fuel pump, or a damaged fuel pump might cause damage to rectifier. Feel like I'm getting to the root of the problem anyway. Didn't have a chance to plow by my icehut and with all the snow and warm weather I was treated to this at my hut today.

It's on 6" runners on 2x4s. Needless to say the old battery will go back in the bike till I find the issue. I am mobile it's a start!

17 volts ?, your reg/rec is bad, it's over charging !, it will cook your battery, as well as damage other electronics, replace it !.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

17 volts ?, your reg/rec is bad, it's over charging !, it will cook your battery, as well as damage other electronics, replace it !.

Yup thanks for confirming, reciter lol I did mean rectifier. Any advise on a place other than partzilla that would ship to canada, just been burned to many times with there shipping delays.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Try Cheap Cycle Parts and see if they have your regulator / rectifier.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

Yup thanks for confirming, reciter lol I did mean rectifier. Any advise on a place other than partzilla that would ship to canada, just been burned to many times with there shipping delays.

agreed, partzilla SUCKS on shipping times !..lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.