Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought a 2008 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 for my stepbrother for $1000. It supposedly has a fresh top end rebuild. It was running great up until the other night, not even 30 minutes into riding it, after we got to the mudpark. My stepbrother hit a hard bump, and it died. I noticed that the wire on the negative terminal that connects to the battery broke off. We towed it back to my truck, and I put a new terminal on it. But now the bike is not getting any spark, and I'm not hearing the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key on. It has also been slowly draining/killing batteries since I got it. The guy that I bought it from did a patch job on the wiring too. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. I will trade it for an older model, good running 4x4 fourwheeler that I don't have to work on. I'm located in the Livingston/Onalaska, Tx area.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
check your fuse box. battery draining could be a bad stator ?, bad reg/rec ?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check your fuse box. battery draining could be a bad stator ?, bad reg/rec ?.
Already checked all the fuses. They're all good. There's a green plug with three wires to it on the same side of the bike as the exhaust, that goes to something underneath the battery box. The green plug is kind of melted on the side, I guess from it laying against the exhaust pipe. The wires don't look melted, and everything seems intact... Would you possibly be able to tell me what that is? That's the only thing I've found so far that could be the culprit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lights on the dash are not hooked up also, so I don't know if it's throwing any codes. The plug for the lights is just dangling below the front side of the bike, and I can't seem to find the other end to plug it back in. I really wasn't kidding when I said that the guy I got it from did a patch job on the wiring for this thing

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
your best bet is to get your hands on a service manual, and look at the wiring schematics. if the harness is as messed up as you claim ?, its gonna cost you about 300 bucks to replace the main harness with a new oem harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean... The wires are all just kinda thrown around, and it seems like there's alot of stuff that's not plugged in. One of them is the plug for all the lights on the dash. It's not plugged in, and is just dangling around under the front plastics. But I can't seem to find the other end anywhere to plug it back in

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
first pic, that is your c.d.i. green connector, two wires, that is your starter solenoid connector. pic showing spark plug boot, that sensor next to it is your coolant temp sensor. headlights plug into connector on front left side under/behind headlight. all other connectors are behind the radiator lined up on a metal bracket. small box with what looks like fuses is relays. fuel injector relay is on the end of a sub harness, has a gray in color box on the end of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts