Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
is this a trx500fm ??. if it is ?, then I hate to break it to ya ?, but your first gear on the tranny is bad !!. this will require you to pull the motor, split the motor, and replace first gear set.

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
Shade's right. 05-08 have a weak first gear. The replacement part offered by Honda is upgraded and stronger, so when you replace it you won't have the problem again, but replacing it requires tearing the engine all the way down.

New gearset is only about $60, and you'd need a gasket set to reassemble, so parts aren't expensive, but the labor is pricey if you don't do it yourself.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Shade's right. 05-08 have a weak first gear. The replacement part offered by Honda is upgraded and stronger, so when you replace it you won't have the problem again, but replacing it requires tearing the engine all the way down.

New gearset is only about $60, and you'd need a gasket set to reassemble, so parts aren't expensive, but the labor is pricey if you don't do it yourself.
anddddddddddddd..I wonder how I know this ?!..lol.

Reactions: Jeepwm69
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.