Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a question.

I have a 07 TRX 450r, the ATV cranks but will not start. It had a dead battery that was replaced, now the ATV cranks but want start every time. Sometimes it start on the first try and sometimes it just spends the starter. Could the starter clutch be bad, dead spot on the starter gear or dead spot on the fly wheel?

Thanks for your help!

Gam300zx:icon_ cry:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Yeah, it sounds like the one-way starter clutch is bad.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
It could also be the valves have tightened up and need to be set to spec. will it push start pretty easy? and Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If the starter is spinning without turning the engine over, the problem is the one-way starter clutch. If it's turning the engine over every time, but just not starting, it may be the valve clearance.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
My bad i mis read, you are right about the starter clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, I will be taking it to the shop in the morning. I hope this want be to expensive.

Again thanks,

Gam300zx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it will push start easy but it is at the shop now with a repair bill of $423.00 later for the starter cluth replacement. Does that sound right?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Yes it will push start easy but it is at the shop now with a repair bill of $423.00 later for the starter cluth replacement. Does that sound right?

Thanks
all i can say is..did you get a kiss after the 423 bill ???..lol..you could of saved 300 bucks..and took about 1 hour or less..and done the same thing they did..but..hey..it's your money..oh..wait..now it's thier money !..lol

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Kinda sounds like they put the screws to ya! the parts don't cost a $100 bucks .

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
At least it is fixed. Kudos to you for doing what you think is right. You took it and had a professional fix it. I'm sure if you thought this was a job you could have done yourself you would. I do all my own work but Honda still does a Bumper to Bumper inspection for me at the beginning of every season. I could easily do all the stuff on my own but it is a huge "peace of mind" for me to do this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts