Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a friends 07 420 rancher. It has set for along time. We have cleaned the tank replaced fuel pump fuel injector and fuel filter. Im getting fire with the a new plug and getting a good spray out of the injector. It will hit it just wont keep running if it does start. When i replaced the fuel pump we cleaned the canister and filled it half way with gas so it wouldnt have to work so hard on pumping full of fuel. I have never worked on a fuel injected bike before. So any suggestions or help is appreciated! Im learning about these things!

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
is the fuel pump running all the time ?, if my memory is any good ? ( thats says a lot !..lol ) these models have a fuel pump relay to kick the pump on and off. plenty of fuel in the tank ?, petcock set to right position ?, fuel lines from pump to injector hooked up right ?. there is also a sensor in the air box I think ?, it works with the throttle body if I remember right ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plenty of gas,new pitcock i have tried it on reserve and on nothing changes. I turn the key on it hums then turns off as usual.its getting fuel to the injector. Had it out but pluged up and it shot a good fan of gas. Didnt notice a sensor in the sir box but ill look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does have a sensor in the air box. Im waiting on a air flter. But i did notice it would try and start better with the box closed up! Would not having the filter on it affect it running? I think its a fuel issue because it will on starting fluid whic i hat using!

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
The sensor in the airbox must be plugged in or it won't start. Try replacing the spark plug with a new NGK as well. If you put a Champion plug in it it will fail right away, they're junk.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
put the air filter back in, close lid, see how it does ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike was running when parked. Her dad used it on the farm. Oem pump and injector. Haven't done a compression test. It ran fine when parked. It has sit for a few years. Anybody know what compression should be and I'll give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Bike was running when parked. Her dad used it on the farm. Oem pump and injector. Haven't done a compression test. It ran fine when parked. It has sit for a few years. Anybody know what compression should be and I'll give it a try.
you will need to look in the service manual for the compression spec's , you can find the service manual on our site here for free :).

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
also, if it has sat for a few years ?, chances are the rings are not expanded on the piston to cylinder wall ?. deff run a compression test !.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know you said that you replaced the fuel valve. Did that include the screen filter that runs into the tank. I have seen those plug and also melt. It can range from slightly resticted to completely plugged. If it runs on starter fluid or carb cleaner then you have a fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All that u asked is new. I got fuel all the way to the injector. Just can't get it to run. Pulled the throttle body cleaned it and nothing!

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
All that u asked is new. I got fuel all the way to the injector. Just can't get it to run. Pulled the throttle body cleaned it and nothing!
and again, what is the compression reading ????.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts