Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just registered as I have having as issue. As luck would have it I loaned my 400 rancher AT to my nephews; got a phone call that it grinds when put into drive whether esp or auto. Sure enough!! Reverse works fine, but when I put into drive and start to accelerate, it makes a grinding sound like things are not engaging. I am not a mechanic so this is as much info as i can offer. Thanks in advance for any direction; there has been no problems with this machine previous in any regard. No guilt sent my nephews way either:)
Steve

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Does the machine try to move?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does. But as it starts to move it makes the grinding noise. I have further info as I took off the plastic on the side. I noticed the sound was coming from the end of a rod that was linked to the gear handle. I tried adjusting 2 nuts that would change the amount of play in the shifter. No matter how much adjusting, the forward gear, in automatic and esp, would grind (you could see that end of this assembly vibrate when starting to move. Thanks for any more input.

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
I noticed that several problems lately start out with "loaned to or let _____ ride my Honda. He might have shifted it in and out of ESP and Auto while under way, I'm told that can be expensive.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Thats what I was thinking. Try pulling the oil drain plug and see how many metal chunks come out.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
oh boy this couldn't sound good at all.... Loan a screwdriver never your quad.

Thats what I was thinking. Try pulling the oil drain plug and see how many metal chunks come out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish had your advice earlier. I will check the oil and and post my findings.
Thanks...
Steve

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yup I'm thinking this will have a bad outcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i also have a very similar problem with my 2007 Honda rancher 420, just foot lever shift. well my reverse is fine so are 1st 2nd and 3rd gears but when i shift into either 4th or 5th and give it gas the wheeler seems like it tries to move but then just makes a horrible grinding noise and just sits there. I've also tried putting it into 4wd and giving it a shot , does the same thing. just sits there and grinds. also i have notice that the foot shift is getting pretty loose and is difficult to shift, if that has anything to do with it. so i'm just curious how you got your wheeler fixed and if it was a fortune, i hope to god it wasn't lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i also have a very similar problem with my 2007 Honda rancher 420, just foot lever shift. well my reverse is fine so are 1st 2nd and 3rd gears but when i shift into either 4th or 5th and give it gas the wheeler seems like it tries to move but then just makes a horrible grinding noise and just sits there. I've also tried putting it into 4wd and giving it a shot , does the same thing. just sits there and grinds. also i have notice that the foot shift is getting pretty loose and is difficult to shift, if that has anything to do with it. so i'm just curious how you got your wheeler fixed and if it was a fortune, i hope to god it wasn't lol.
So are you saying that you are putting it in 4th or 5th and trying to move from a dead stop?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts