Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key on, I can shift up & down, as soon as I squeeze any of the brakes, my neutral indicator starts flashing two blinks. If I turn the key off & on, it starts all over again. I checked the switches associated with each of the brakes. the switches are N/O contacts, if I squeeze any brake, the switch for that brake closes & my neutral indicator starts flashing. I pulled the wires off all of these switches & I can shift up, down & into reverse with no issue.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
The 2 flashes is an error code. Check your manual...

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
2 blinks indicates an ES shift switch system problem.

Find a service manual, look at page 22-6 for the codes, and 22-9 and 22-10 for procedures to check the gearshift switch connectors.

You can purchase a paper manual, or you may be able to find one for download on this site, or look at tradebit.com and download one for $5

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I don't know if the codes or procedures would be the same for a 500 Foreman Rubicon, or not, but there's a free download for a repair manual for the Rubicon models on this site.

maxmekker.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help.
When I first got the bike home, I pressure washed up under fenders ( first mistake). Code 2 is for shift switches, someone told me about the large grey pin connector in front of the steering coloum, possibly may have got wet. I put a micro furnace (small high output electric heater with fan) up under the front left fender pointing at the grey pin connector. I left it there for hours, everything under there was hot, I thought that if there was any moisture in that pin connector, it would have evaporated. Still no change in my neutral indicator (still flashing).

Thinking about the brake switches that activate this flashing, I moved the heater under the back right fender pointing at the foot pedal brake switch. After a couple of hours, my neutral indicator was no longer flashing. I'm thinking there must have been moisture in that switch & the heater dried it out.

Initially ,I did check the switch to see if it was working correctly, when I pushed the brake, it did pull the spring, it changed the switch state from open to closed. When you remove the right side cover, you'll see a yellow 2 pin connector, this is the pin connector for the foot pedal brake switch. After my problem was resolved, I pulled the pin connector apart, I checked for continiuity to ground with each of the 2 pins going to the switch. There was no connection to ground. I wish I would have did this grouding check on the brake switch before I dried it out, I think it would have been grounded. Now I have to assume that is what my problem was. I've lost confidence in the switch so I'm going to replace it before it leaves me stranded.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Might want to get some dielectric grease for your connectors if you're concerned about water.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Good idea^^^^^!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts