Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 400ex with oil leaking from the top of the engine. Any suggestions as to what I am getting into for repairs? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my first guess would be gaskets, since oil is that high up on the engine id say to check ur head cover gasket. worse case there's a crack in the cylinder head cover, but again that's worse case sinario

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my first guess would be gaskets, since oil is that high up on the engine id say to check ur head cover gasket. worse case there's a crack in the cylinder head cover, but again that's worse case sinario
Thanks, I am going to clean it up and turn it on to see if I can pin point the leak / leaks. When it’s running it doesn’t sound bad and does not appear to be burning oil. However, it is not getting a lot of power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, I am going to clean it up and turn it on to see if I can pin point the leak / leaks. When it’s running it doesn’t sound bad and does not appear to be burning oil. However, it is not getting a lot of power.
Are you saying that the motor isn't making much power, if so your rings could be shot and/or it could be the head gasket has gone out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying that the motor isn't making much power, if so your rings could be shot and/or it could be the head gasket has gone out
Correct. I have only road it once down a driveway in some snow. I was taking it easy, but could tell the motor was not making the power it should. I know I will have to have a professional do the work. Any idea what the gasket replacement and / or rings would cost to replace? Should I just have the entire top end redone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Correct. I have only road it once down a driveway in some snow. I was taking it easy, but could tell the motor was not making the power it should. I know I will have to have a professional do the work. Any idea what the gasket replacement and / or rings would cost to replace? Should I just have the entire top end redone?
Oem head gasket on motosport is $20.86
Oem ring set (std) on motosport is $44.20
You could get the whole top end redone if you wanted to but it would probably be pretty expensive, just all depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oem head gasket on motosport is $20.86
Oem ring set (std) on motosport is $44.20
You could get the whole top end redone if you wanted to but it would probably be pretty expensive, just all depends on how much you want to spend.
Got ya. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts