Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

Here's another one for you:

I noticed my TRX350 FM6 doesn't have any drive to the front wheels. The propshaft/driveshaft turns when driving all the time, but it doesn't drive anything up front.

Would it be the splines in the cup joint just in front of the front diff that have worn/sheared, or could something else more sinister be afoot?

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you put the bike in the air and run it to see if the front wheels turn?
If they don't turn then yes inspect all splines and work your way fourward till you find the problem. If all splines are good then the problem is with the front diff.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
If you have power to the rear wheels that same shaft turns the front driveshaft (it goes all the way through the motor), so yeah, you've got stripped splines on the front driveshaft somewhere, or your front diff has disintegrated. I think you'd know if it was the diff (grinding) so I'm guessing stripped splines.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you put the bike in the air and run it to see if the front wheels turn?
If they don't turn then yes inspect all splines and work your way fourward till you find the problem. If all splines are good then the problem is with the front diff.
I've only had the front in the air (and been watching closely while my friend drives/spins the tyres in mud). Definitely NO drive at the front wheels.

I had the front end up today, and when I turn a front wheel the thicker part of the driveshaft that comes from the rear of the front diff spins independently of the driveshaft (the same one...) that comes from the engine.

What can we deduce from this please?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have power to the rear wheels that same shaft turns the front driveshaft (it goes all the way through the motor), so yeah, you've got stripped splines on the front driveshaft somewhere, or your front diff has disintegrated. I think you'd know if it was the diff (grinding) so I'm guessing stripped splines.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks Jeep. Please see my post above - would you say the diff internals are OK and it's the splines have been fudged?

Would I be able to weld the thicker collar (rear of the front diff) to the main driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks Jeep. Please see my post above - would you say the diff internals are OK and it's the splines have been fudged?

Would I be able to weld the thicker collar (rear of the front diff) to the main driveshaft?
Yes, and yes, although replacing the driveshaft would be better. I've seen quite a few welded up like you're talking about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One assumes the problem with welding the driveshaft together is that you can't then pull it all apart if something goes wrong down the line?

Thanks for your help, by the way - it's most appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
your problem is with your front differential. odd are, its right there where your drive shaft enters the pinion gear on the front differential.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little more...

I jacked up the front today, I can turn the bell that comes out the rear of the front diff by hand and both wheels turn in the same direction, back or forwards. It spins and the driveshaft stays still.

Can I assume my diff is OK?

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Your differential is probably Ok but I'd still worry about stripped splines on the driveshaft.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, from everything I've witnessed its the driveshaft that needs replacing.

It's sat on the shelf at the Honda parts place just 5 minutes drive from me. The master mechanic (I'm told he's the best) said there's a bolt hidden up inside the bell that comes out the rear of the front diff which can be a beast to get off.... Let's hope that doesn't need to come off on mine...!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so I stripped it all out this morning. Pretty simple job really. 4 bolts, yank the diff forward and wriggle and swear and pull the drive shaft out.

Job done. The union between the driveshaft and the bell section just before the diff was the bad section.

All sorted now. It's a lot tougher to steer now compared to the 2wd version!!

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
well done !. now..pat yourself on the back, at all the money you saved doing it yourself !.

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
OK so I stripped it all out this morning. Pretty simple job really. 4 bolts, yank the diff forward and wriggle and swear and pull the drive shaft out.

Job done. The union between the driveshaft and the bell section just before the diff was the bad section.

All sorted now. It's a lot tougher to steer now compared to the 2wd version!!
it'a amazing how many swear words we come up with, when working on atvs..huh ?. lmfao.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts