Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The last time I used my 2006 Fourtrax 350 FM my dash display was working, speedometer, time, mileage etc. This was about 4 months ago. Since then I would charge my battery about once a month.

Today I went to start it today, and the dash display is blank. I checked and cleaned the connections, checked the fuses, all were fine. Power must be getting to the display as the background light works when I put the head lights on.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
battery charged ?, mouse chew wires ?.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ATV is always stored in my garage without any mice.

In regards to the charged battery, I'll charge it again, however it started without any trouble.

Is it common for these displays/screens to go bad?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have heard that the wires can come loose on the circuit board... my buddy just resoldered it back on.... been fine since then

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
yes, it's common for the displays to go bad, spec if they got water in them. check all the connections to it. is it burnt anywhere on the screen ?.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Shadtree, the screen/display is blank when the ignition is on. No burnt areas. If he head lights are on, the screen lights up orange like it should. I spent the morning go through the plugs and wires with the help of the trouble shooting section of the manual. (Its not that in depth.)

There is power at the plug to the screen, and the wires into the screen have continuity.

I've checked the 'mother board' soldering joints and they look fine.

XplicitRacing6 would your friend remember which joints on the mother board were loose?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi Shadtree, the screen/display is blank when the ignition is on. No burnt areas. If he head lights are on, the screen lights up orange like it should. I spent the morning go through the plugs and wires with the help of the trouble shooting section of the manual. (Its not that in depth.)

There is power at the plug to the screen, and the wires into the screen have continuity.

I've checked the 'mother board' soldering joints and they look fine.

XplicitRacing6 would your friend remember which joints on the mother board were loose?
I'll shoot him a text and ask him for ya

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
He texted back..... He said that he doesn't remember but he can look when he gets home... It will be a little bit, if you are in a hurry

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
He said that the wires are a black and white one... he also said to be careful with the motherboard... very delicate..

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked the continuity of all the connections on the circuit board and they all were fine. I'm stumped!

So where would you all buy your display from? This is a foot shift 350 and the display is in KMs.

I guess I would lose all the original mileage and hours if I changed the display?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Yeah, you'd lose the hours and miles you already racked up if you change the display. Since this happened while it was parked though, I'd be going through the wiring harnesses unplugging and reconnecting each plug as you inspect the harnesses for chewed wires. I know you don't think mice could have gotten in there... but thats why they are so successful.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
If you want it to read in KM's you'll have to buy from a dealer outside of the US.

Last time I checked a 350ES display was only about $150 new.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Is the connector a 10 pin connector going to the display? -- if so do you have 12 volts on the Black/Brown wire on that connector?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Melatv,

It is a 9 pin plug. I just double checked the black/brown wire, and there is power when the ignition is on. I also checked the continuity of the plug wires into the display/screen and they all checked out.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Do this unplug the display -- on the connector side going to the display apply 12 volts + to the Bl/Br wire -- then ground the Lg/R wire to the frame or Battery Neg. the Neutral light should come on.

Do the same to the Bu/R wire -- Oil light should come on.
Do the same to the Gr wire -- Reverse light should come on.
This will prove lights & wiring is good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Melatv,

Using the Lg/R as the ground for all the tests mentioned above, I was only able to get the neutral light to work.

However, when I plug the connector into the wiring harness I could get the reverse light to work when I put it in reverse. The oil temp light will work for a second or two when the ignition switch is put on. The neutral light stays on, till it is put into gear.

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 53 Posts