Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing as much forum stalking as I could and getting bits and pieces of what I need. I finally decided to do it right and ask the professionals directly. Here is my known issues;

Picked up a 2006 Honda Rancher 400fa AT. Had been sitting for a year. PO said that it stopped shifting and would only stay in first.
After I cleaned out the carb and replace the battery it started right up and runs perfect. But still won't shift in ESP or Auto mode. Magnets in the shifting motor were shot and wire was shorted out. Also, the Shift motor fuse was blown. I replaced both. I have tested the angle sensor and throttle position sensor with a voltmeter and they are both within specs.

I tried to Initialize the ECU and get the shift motor to cycle the swashplate and the "--" blinks. When I move the throttle back and forth nothing happens. I have tried numerous times and still get no response.

Sorry if I haven't put things in the perfect order or used the wrong terminology but not only do I want to fix this quad; I also want to learn.

Appreciate any and all help. Thank You in advance.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joey. Sounds like you already know way more about the 400AT and its quirks than most guys that (unfortunately) buy them. I personally don't have any specific advice for you, other than... Are you able to do the error code retrieval?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum Joey. Sounds like you already know way more about the 400AT and its quirks than most guys that (unfortunately) buy them. I personally don't have any specific advice for you, other than... Are you able to do the error code retrieval?
Thank You for your quick response. As of right now there is no error code. I believe that this is due to me unhooking the battery and clearing the codes? Should I ride it around at low speeds to see if an error code triggers?

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Thank You for your quick response. As of right now there is no error code. I believe that this is due to me unhooking the battery and clearing the codes? Should I ride it around at low speeds to see if an error code triggers?
Yes that's a good idea and you should try that for sure.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do and report back. Thank You.
So, I rode it around my yard last night in both ESP and Auto Mode. Still won't shift. I momentarily got the ESP and Gear Indicator light to flash 5 times. Shut it down and tried to Initialize it. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong? I can't get it to flash any error codes when trying to do a code retrieval; and I can't get it to initialize past the Shift Motor Cycling. Once I move the throttle to fully opened and back to fully closed the "--" still blinks and will not go solid like the instructions say.

Also, I forgot to add that when I try putting it in reverse it feels like it wants to stall out. I have see other people question this same problem; but still have not found a solution.

When I got it and the shift motor wires were grounded out and the motor magnets were dead. The 30amp fuse was also blown. Could this have burned out something in the ECU? And if so; would I still be able to cycle the shift motor like I can when I attempt to Initialize it?

Thank You to anyone in advance for your help.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
So, I rode it around my yard last night in both ESP and Auto Mode. Still won't shift. I momentarily got the ESP and Gear Indicator light to flash 5 times. Shut it down and tried to Initialize it. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong? I can't get it to flash any error codes when trying to do a code retrieval; and I can't get it to initialize past the Shift Motor Cycling. Once I move the throttle to fully opened and back to fully closed the "--" still blinks and will not go solid like the instructions say.

Also, I forgot to add that when I try putting it in reverse it feels like it wants to stall out. I have see other people question this same problem; but still have not found a solution.

When I got it and the shift motor wires were grounded out and the motor magnets were dead. The 30amp fuse was also blown. Could this have burned out something in the ECU? And if so; would I still be able to cycle the shift motor like I can when I attempt to Initialize it?

Thank You to anyone in advance for your help.
Code 5 is for the angle sensor on the shift motor. You do have the full service manual, correct?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Angle Sensor was already checked with the OHM Meter and it was well within specs. I pre-loaded it when I Reinstalled it. The Shift Motor Cycles when I try and Initialize it. I don't get any error when I hold the ESP Buttons and turn the key. I just got it when I was riding and shifted from ESP mode to Auto.

Would a bad angle sensor only show up when riding? If I unplug it I get the error code right away. It goes away when I plug it back in and turn the ignition back on.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Joey. I just responded on your other thread to keep things on this thread.

Sounds like you've been checking all the right things, but still needed to ask. Whatever other electrical connections you haven't taken apart yet, do so. Check out every single one you can, coat with dielectric grease, and reconnect. These bikes are finicky. I had crazy problems one time and that's all it was.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Joey. I just responded on your other thread to keep things on this thread.

Sounds like you've been checking all the right things, but still needed to ask. Whatever other electrical connections you haven't taken apart yet, do so. Check out every single one you can, coat with dielectric grease, and reconnect. These bikes are finicky. I had crazy problems one time and that's all it was.
Thanks ttwheelsquad. I thought that I had it in the wrong thread because I only received a response from one person. I will try that tonight. I was messing with it last night and noticed that when the Shift Motor Cycles in sounds very sluggish as it winds up and then winds down kinda quickly. Sometime I have to do it a few times before I hear it reach the end of the half cycle before it reverses to come back. (Sorry that is the best I can describe it).
I tried it with the angle sensor off and notice the shaft barely moves. I can also remove the shaft. Could something be hung up in there? Would the cyntrifical clutch do this? It idles fine and takes off quickly when I ride it. I can use it in 2wd or 4wd fine. Just won't go out of 1st gear so I can't go to far or fast. Would the Shift Motor still cycle if the ECU was bad?

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry, the reason nobody responds to these 400FA electrical problems is cause there are hardly any owners left on here that have kept their 400AT's. From the finicky electrical problems, to the weak centrifugal clutch, to just being underpowered in general. Sometimes other regular forum users will respond to these, but it's mostly guys that will tell you to sell it because it's a turd of an atv. I'm one of the last hold outs. So most of the threads we get started on these are guys that pick them up like you.

What I can tell you is yes the clutch slipping will mess with what the ECM/ECU is calculating to do, and it won't run properly in auto mode with a slight clutch slip. But what mine did then was shift up too high and too soon into highest gear ratio. And it shifted fine in ESP. That's the opposite problem you're having.

So I would still recommend checking EVERY SINGLE connection. If you're really ambitious, check out your centrifugal clutch and make sure it's within spec and not scorched.

Also, what size tires are on it?

And to specifically respond to your question about the ECU, there is an error code for a bad ECU. But that's always puzzled me, how can something that is bad accurately report it is bad? It's a circular thought.

So report back after checking all connections. New ECM/ECU are expensive, and you don't just want to throw parts at it. But I do have a working spare one around because I made that mistake when my clutch was bad. Could let you try it for diagnosis if all else fails.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, the reason nobody responds to these 400FA electrical problems is cause there are hardly any owners left on here that have kept their 400AT's. From the finicky electrical problems, to the weak centrifugal clutch, to just being underpowered in general. Sometimes other regular forum users will respond to these, but it's mostly guys that will tell you to sell it because it's a turd of an atv. I'm one of the last hold outs. So most of the threads we get started on these are guys that pick them up like you.

What I can tell you is yes the clutch slipping will mess with what the ECM/ECU is calculating to do, and it won't run properly in auto mode with a slight clutch slip. But what mine did then was shift up too high and too soon into highest gear ratio. And it shifted fine in ESP. That's the opposite problem you're having.

So I would still recommend checking EVERY SINGLE connection. If you're really ambitious, check out your centrifugal clutch and make sure it's within spec and not scorched.

Also, what size tires are on it?

And to specifically respond to your question about the ECU, there is an error code for a bad ECU. But that's always puzzled me, how can something that is bad accurately report it is bad? It's a circular thought.

So report back after checking all connections. New ECM/ECU are expensive, and you don't just want to throw parts at it. But I do have a working spare one around because I made that mistake when my clutch was bad. Could let you try it for diagnosis if all else fails.
That is Awesome of you. Thank You. Here is something interesting that I found out this weekend. When I remove the Shifter motor and the angle sensor and try and turn the shifter shaft by hand it stops. But I do not think it stops at the end. If I attempt to keep turning it I can feel the gear skipping and the sensor joint barely budges. It spins freely forever counter clockwise. But when I turn it I get no movement from the angle sensor joint. Could it be a jammed swash plate? Hondamatic seized? Don't know if I can access part of it from taking off the front of the engine where the clutch is; or do I have to split the case?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had this same prob with an 05, ended up replacing shift motor & then unplugged a bunch of connectors & cleaned them under the front, that was the main prob. How many miles or kms on it?
Hi ATC4ever. Thank you for your response in helping me. I believe it has about 480 miles on it. I just picked it up a few weeks ago. Replaced the shift motor and got it running. I see a lot of people saying about the connections as it seems to be a common fault on these machines. It is completely stock with original tires on it. Would faulty connections be the cause of the swash plate not moving? I can spin it freely counterclockwise but hit the "stop" clockwise. Try to move it past that and it skips gears and the sensor joint barely wiggles.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Joey. Sorry I can't be of any help specific to your hondamatic unit and swash plate questions.

The alternator and voltage regulator (rectifier) both have step by step procedures in the manual to test if they are good or not.

· Registered
765 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had an 06 for about 7 years, & my nephew bought my friends 05 which he also keeps in the yard here as my friend did, so i will likely be still frigging with it now & then lol..
Good spot to get a repair manual is in this post. I got mine from it
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...nual-help/50817-service-manual-downloads.html
Thanks. I have the Service Manual already. I feel that if could get the swashplate to move I would be right where I need to be with the Initialization. My fear is that water got into the oil (It was a little muddy when I got it) and locked up the hondamatic unit. I fear that splitting the case is my only option. :blink:

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
If I was in your shoes ( glad I am not ! ), i'd bail and sell that puppy !..lol. it's going to cost you an arm and leg, and a few other important parts to get it right. one of the worst atvs Honda ever made in my book is a stupid automatic tranny..what a waste of design if ya ask me ?..lol. manual shifts have been around sense dirt, and still work best to this day.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I was in your shoes ( glad I am not ! ), i'd bail and sell that puppy !..lol. it's going to cost you an arm and leg, and a few other important parts to get it right. one of the worst atvs Honda ever made in my book is a stupid automatic tranny..what a waste of design if ya ask me ?..lol. manual shifts have been around sense dirt, and still work best to this day.
Ouch. You could have at least bought me flowers first:icon_ laughup:. LOL. Well, Since I have not know how everything works and build and unbuild motorcycles and other engine related things; I will be taking this thing apart. If I get into it and can fix it; I will do just that. If not, Parts will be available. It runs great and everything but the electric shifter works. Just wish it had a backup manual shifter. I had a 1978 Hondamatic 750 that was an automatic. Great concept. But no backup plan.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Ouch. You could have at least bought me flowers first:icon_ laughup:. LOL. Well, Since I have not know how everything works and build and unbuild motorcycles and other engine related things; I will be taking this thing apart. If I get into it and can fix it; I will do just that. If not, Parts will be available. It runs great and everything but the electric shifter works. Just wish it had a backup manual shifter. I had a 1978 Hondamatic 750 that was an automatic. Great concept. But no backup plan.
lmao^^^..flowers are in the mail..lmao. sorry bro, I wish I could be more help to ya ?, but to be honest ?..those AT's are junk in my book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.