Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 250ex. I don't know any thing about 4wheelers never worked on one before. I want to Chang the oil so can some one tell me what kinda of oil it takes and if it has a oil filter and where it is.? I'm good with mechanics so I want to do this myself I Don't want to pay for a shop to do it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
You have got to use ATV specific oil because of the wet clutch. Use car oil and your screwed. I usually use 10w-40. No, it doesn't have a filter so you don't have to worry about that either. It says in your manual how much to use, I used to have a 250ex as well btw. And the bolt to unscrew the engine oil should be 17mm in size. I just remember that for some odd reason. lol

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Oh ok, let me look it up real quick. See if I can find out. But yea for the filter part, there isn't one, its a screen. But you don't have to worry about it. Thats another thing I really liked on the 250ex, no oil filter to change.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
For the engine oil, it is reccomended to put 1.7 liters in. I just put around a jug and a half of another jug in it. Don't forget to change the gear oil too dude. Unscrew the bottom bolt, let it drain and then there should be a "oil check bolt" on the left side of the gearshaft and open that and fill it up until oil starts flowing out of the bolt, then screw it in and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Yea youll be able to find it. Let me know if you cant though. It's not near the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ATV Oil?

We have seveen of these bikes 2001-2007 and have always used Castrol car oil since 2001. I dont think our manuals say you have to use ATV oil just the grade and viscosity

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Best to use Honda oil. I think it is GN4, if I remember right. It's not that much higher than any other kind of oil. Maybe $1 or $2, but it's worth it not to have your clutch go out on you. If for some reason you can't get the Honda oil, you can use Castrol. I have used Castrol a lot of times and it worked for me and didn't make my clutch go out. But if you do decide to use Castrol, use it at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I didn't even notice. Oh well, maybe someone else will be able to read it and use the information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts