Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Rancher 350 es 2x4 won't start

Hello,
I just got a 2005 Honda Rancher 350 es 2x4 and it won't start. I bought a new battery for it, drained the gas out of the tank and put 100% gas in it. It will crank but won't start and has a popping sound by the battery. The choke cable won't move either. I have no idea how long it sat for and I'm just starting out working on vehicles so not too knowledgeable yet. I bought a cable luber and a new choke cable just in case. I read if it pops then it's probably the solenoid but no one said thats true so I'm not sure. Where should I start and what should I do? Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Another problem you have is that Honda did not ever manufacture any 250cc Ranchers. Is your machine a Recon? Check the model & VIN on the frame.

A popping noise from the battery area could be caused by corroded or loose cable connections... that is the more likely source of that sort of noise in that area. Take them all apart from the battery and solenoid and shine them up. Do the same for the ground cable going to the motor, and the starter motor cable as well. Finally, pull every plug connector apart on the bike and make sure each is clean and weatherproof before plugging each back in. If you find anything broken or missing replace it with OEM parts only. China parts are useless garbage, replace with OEM if you find any of those on the bike....

You'll need to diagnose why the motor won't start after cleaning the electrical system up. Begin by checking for spark on a new NGK spark plug and go from there...

You can get a copy of the service manual HERE, you'll need to follow it closely to fix and maintain your bike.

Enjoy your work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. Its a 350 Rancher, I just mistyped 250. Its a 350 es 2x4. I will check all those connections out. Thank you for the fast response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts