Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy yall! newbie here, I am looking at purchasing my first fourwheeler this weekend, and I decided upon this quad. I have read all the check lists online of what to check (frame, air box, shake wheels, steering stop, fluids, sprockets, etc), but I was just wondering if there was anything specific to these quads that go wrong usually? Also, I am paying $1500 for this quad, I don't know how many hours on it or anything like that, but it looks to be in fair condition, and he originally had it listed for $2000, but he needs to sell it, so his loss is my gain, right? What do yall think? Think I'm getting a good deal? Thanks for any replies, and hopefully this weekend I will be a fellow Honda owner!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if that is a good deal, what would be the cheapest I could be looking at getting into a full set of skid plates (main, swing arm, and a-arms) and nerf bars with heel guards? I'm thinking its gonna end up being 6-700 and thats gonna suck, but its pretty necessary stuff for the type of places I would be riding

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Since the 2005 has reverse, I would say it is a pretty good deal as long as the engine is good and you don't find too many other problems with it. Someone else that owns a 400EX should be able to help you with the prices on the skids, A-arms, etc.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Check Ebay they have some of the best prices on that stuff. If the 400 is in good running order you are getting a good deal on that one. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome y'all. I was probably gonna check ebay for everything, I mean, if I can get the skid plates and nerf bars used that would be excellent, I mean, they're just pieces of metal, worst condition they could be in is a little banged up and bent, and a hammer would take of that no sweat, I already found a set of a-arm guards used, so it is looking promising. I'm so pumped, I'm driving up Sunday to check it out. Riding's something I absolutely love to do, but in the past I haven't been able to do it that much b/c it all depended on when my buddies were going, and then I would have to ride bitch, lol, no more of that!

Also, I will say that I am not a fan of any imports really. When it comes to cars, all I buy are domestics (I currently own a 1998 Dodge Durango, a 2004 Chevy Cavalier, and my dad has an F-350 and my brother a Ranger. Our lawn mowers have always been John Deere's, so up until [hopefully] Sunday, an import has never been parked at my house!) However, not even I, the ultimate import-basher, can deny Honda's bullet-proof atv's. Will this convert me into a believer? Not for cars, but atvs? Who knows?

Also, funny story about how pro-domestic my family is. My grandpappy served in WW2, and onetime my aunt, his step-daughter, bought a Nissan Pathfinder and took it down to his house to show it to my grandypappy and grandma. he took one look at it, and told her to park her rice-burner up the street, not in front of his house. She thought he was kidding, but he was dead serious. He said those sonnava-expletives tried to kill me back at Iwo, and now you're giving them your money? So, every time after that, she had to park a block up the street and walk down to his house. LOL, so this a very large break in tradition for me, but I wanted a quad that was priced right and would run forever, and the Honda fit the bill.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Looks like a good deal.I would say it was rolled once from the crack high in the plastic but it looks solid everywhere else.As for skid plates ebay would be good like evryone else said.I wouldn't buy used because most all of the plates and nerfs too are made of aluminum and they tend to crack if you straighten them.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Red for those links, I'm going to get those if I don't manage to these I found on e-bay, they look like cheaper made ones, but hey, a skid plates a skid plate, right?

Honda TRX400EX Full Frame & A-Arm Skid Plate Set 400 ex : eBay Motors (item 300392270745 end time May-30-10 23:19:27 PDT)

Also, I found this rear swing-arm plate used, it looks to be in ok condition, it looks like it had a little wear and tear, but hey, I mean I aint buying it to look pretty, I'm just trying to get something to that protects it cheaply, you know?

HONDA 400EX OEM REAR SKID PLATE TRX400EX SWINGARM SKID : eBay Motors (item 300423815736 end time May-09-10 17:27:01 PDT)

As for the nerf bars and heel guards, I looked and looked and looked, and I really couldn't find any either separate or one-piece ones that won't break my bank except for these:

TRX 400EX TRX400EX NERF BAR PRO PEG silver : eBay Motors (item 190385230384 end time May-29-10 16:25:38 PDT)

If y'all say that those aren't well made though, I would probably go with these stock heel guards I found used: 1999-2008 Honda TRX 400EX Stock Foot Pegs and Heel Guards

and these nerf bars: HONDA TRX400EX 99-08 BRAND new NERF BARS AC RACING ALUM : eBay Motors (item 180468772306 end time May-13-10 11:01:09 PDT)

Also, those first nerf bars I posted aren't connected together like the seconds I linked to. Does that make a big difference? It seems to me like it would, but I'm new to this whole game, so I don't know. Thanks for all the advice y'all!

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Those all look to be good products. Those nerf bars that you posted with the heal guards... great product. ALBA makes top notch products.

·
Registered
173 Posts
welcome to the forums.

i think the 400ex's are 1 of the most dependable machines going!. good ol reliable. parts for them are all over the place.. looks like a good bye. just make sure the frame aint tweeked.rear axle isnt bent and carrier bearings arent shot.

as for buying a honda (import) i live in upstate ny and i ride with buddies that still whip there trikes around so if a 20+ yr old machine is still on the trails they must be doing something right!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Those all look to be good products. Those nerf bars that you posted with the heal guards... great product. ALBA makes top notch products.

Cool, I really liked those b/c I cannot be without nerf bars and heel guards, I rode my buddy's suzuki z400 a couple times, and one time my foot slipped and got sucked under the tire a little bit. Didn't cause me any injuries, but it hurt like all get out, and I like the idea of metal heel guards that are part of the nerf bars, instead of plastic ones that are separate pieces. The only thing I was concerned about with those was that there wasn't that bar in the front connecting them like almost every other set of nerf bars I've seen, is that a big deal, or is it just something that different companies do different ways?

welcome to the forums.

i think the 400ex's are 1 of the most dependable machines going!. good ol reliable. parts for them are all over the place.. looks like a good bye. just make sure the frame aint tweeked.rear axle isnt bent and carrier bearings arent shot.

as for buying a honda (import) i live in upstate ny and i ride with buddies that still whip there trikes around so if a 20+ yr old machine is still on the trails they must be doing something right!!

Yeah, I've heard the same thing, that's why I mainly looked at them. I also checked out a few Raptors and my one buddy with the z400 told me at least 10 times I should check out those suzuki's, but you can't beat Honda atv's for reliability, and that was my main concern. Acceleration played a good bit in it too, but top speed, for me, has never been a concern. To me "fast" means quick, not how high it can top out at, you know? If I do buy this quad (going to the credit union today to get a small loan so I will have cash in hand when I go to look at it), I will probably call in sick Monday and go for a day-long ride, and I'll take my camera and upload some pictures.

Thanks for all the advice y'all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Also, has anyone on here heard of anyone snorkeling one of these bikes? I think I'll pretty much have to b/c where I will be riding a good bit is out Fish Creek, between Moundsville and New Martinsville, WV. Doubt anyone's heard of those, but we're just south of Wheeling, WV, which is just southwest of Pittsburgh, PA. And out there, there are a lot of creek crossings, and I would hate to flood the thing when the creeks are high. I don't figure it would be too difficult, mainly because I really don't care how pugly the thing looks, as long as it's functional. I have a buddy who snorkeled his Polaris Sportsman 500 himself, so I figure I would have him give me a hand, but I was just wandering of anybody had experience on a 400ex. Again, thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, my luck is terrible. I was talking with this guy about coming up and buying it, I told him I would have cash in hand and was very likely going to buy it. All was good. Even whenever he told me he didn't have the title, it was coming in the mail, just the bill of sale, I thought eh, a little fishy, but fourwheelers don't always need titles. Then, I called him later that day and asked for the VIN so I could run it through NCIB or w/e the acronym is, and then he said he sold it. Yet the ad is still up craigslist (2005 Honda ATV 400EX). Idk, sounds fishy to me. Anyway, I went and bought a 2000 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4. It was owned by an old farmer, who sold it to another another old farmer who I bought it off of (dude was 87, but he was still active, typical old farmer, ya know?) The bike is in really good condition, nothing but a little bit of surface rust, and really not even much of that. Everything on my check list my buddy gave told me to look at was good, and I got it and a nice size trailer, big enough to fit 2 quads (and I'm also gonna use the trailer to help haul firewood. We heat our home with a wood chuck wood stove), for $1800. I think I did pretty good. Kinda sad that I won't have a little, light sport bike, but a light utility bike will be almost as much fun, and probably a lot less frustrating on the type of trails I ride on. But, to everyone who took the time to try to help me out on this thread, thank you so much for your time!

And while I am not a Honda rider just yet, I am mainly buying this bike for a starter bike (and money's kind of tight right now). What I hope to do is sell it this fall for what I paid for it ($1500 for the quad), and then go buy a leftover stock Honda 420 Rancher 4x4 (preferably with that ESP [dual clutch set-up? that's tight] and maybe even power steering [while I don't like the reduced feedback that power steering bikes have, take one for a day long ride and you will never want to go back to non-power steering]). So, maybe here in 6 months, I'll be back on here as a Honda owner, but for now, I have a Kawasaki in my garage:icon_ rasta::icon_gd:

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
That is ok, I hope you don't feel like yiou need to leave...

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, hang around and join in on the discussions, anyway.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
So, my luck is terrible. I was talking with this guy about coming up and buying it, I told him I would have cash in hand and was very likely going to buy it. All was good. Even whenever he told me he didn't have the title, it was coming in the mail, just the bill of sale, I thought eh, a little fishy, but fourwheelers don't always need titles. Then, I called him later that day and asked for the VIN so I could run it through NCIB or w/e the acronym is, and then he said he sold it. Yet the ad is still up craigslist (2005 Honda ATV 400EX). Idk, sounds fishy to me. Anyway, I went and bought a 2000 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4. It was owned by an old farmer, who sold it to another another old farmer who I bought it off of (dude was 87, but he was still active, typical old farmer, ya know?) The bike is in really good condition, nothing but a little bit of surface rust, and really not even much of that. Everything on my check list my buddy gave told me to look at was good, and I got it and a nice size trailer, big enough to fit 2 quads (and I'm also gonna use the trailer to help haul firewood. We heat our home with a wood chuck wood stove), for $1800. I think I did pretty good. Kinda sad that I won't have a little, light sport bike, but a light utility bike will be almost as much fun, and probably a lot less frustrating on the type of trails I ride on. But, to everyone who took the time to try to help me out on this thread, thank you so much for your time!

And while I am not a Honda rider just yet, I am mainly buying this bike for a starter bike (and money's kind of tight right now). What I hope to do is sell it this fall for what I paid for it ($1500 for the quad), and then go buy a leftover stock Honda 420 Rancher 4x4 (preferably with that ESP [dual clutch set-up? that's tight] and maybe even power steering [while I don't like the reduced feedback that power steering bikes have, take one for a day long ride and you will never want to go back to non-power steering]). So, maybe here in 6 months, I'll be back on here as a Honda owner, but for now, I have a Kawasaki in my garage:icon_ rasta::icon_gd:
yeah..don't feal like you need to stay away..just because your ridding another brand other than the best < honda >..no matter what you ride..it still has the basics....they all need the same stuff to run..roll..what not..sooo..no matter what you ride..now..or later..it still breaks down..as far as i'm concerned..stick around..join in the chat..we all can learn something....doesn't make a difference what it is..learing is what we are here for...i work on alot of models..mostly hondas..but.like i said..they all got engines..soo..advice is advice in my book..grats on your purchase anyway !

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Welcome to the forums! stick around you don't have to leave!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts