Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Honda Recon that will shift into forward gear and reverse but the bike wont move, it just revs up with acceleration. Rear axle spins on both sides of rear gear housing. Rear brakes are free and both wheels(hubs) are sloppy side to side. With a push start the bike may travel forward for short distances then stop again no matter how much acceleration. This problem happened after moving slowly in first gear from grass to concrete. Does this sound like rear axle hubs and / or rear axle splines or both. If both roughly how much $$ to repair. I have owned for approx. 2 years and have 1K in it. Ran great till this problem.
Thanks for any advice and help in advance... My first thread by the way, sorry if long-winded.

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
Recon is a 250 right , should be real easy to figure out , jack the rear off the ground and try to spin the wheels , it sounds like the splines of the axle and the hub are stripped out -------- if so then weld the axle to the hubs and run it till you need to get into the rear end for bearings and seals and replace the axle and hubs at that time

2005 250 , the axle is $116 and the hubs are $30 each

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
if you do change the axle and hubs , I would replace the seals , bearings and brake shoes while I had it apart ------------- but if the bearings where still good and the oil in the diff clean , I would weld the back side of the hub to the axle and let it roll , be gathering the parts , till I needed a bearing job and then fix it right ------- when you tear into to , you could have a worst case senerio where something happens like the axle is frozen on the ring gear splines and you damage the diff housing while trying to get it apart , then you made a mountain from a ant pile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.