Honda ATV Forum banner

2005 Foreman 500 start problems

20K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
I bought this machine brand new for work around the cabin and ice fishing. It has been a great machine with no problems...until now. It seems that when I try to start it with the electric start, the solenoid just clicks. Battery is fully charged. I have tried jumping the solenoid, but nothing happens with the key on or off. If I pull the recoil start once or twice, and then push the starter button it will usually start. When I shut it off and try to start it again, the solenoid just clicks again... Could this be a bad starter? :unsure:

I can't seem to find a post on this problem, so if anyone out here has a solution to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance..

#2 ·
bad solenoid..or your brushes are worn on your starter..replace the solenoid first..it's cheaper and easier to replace.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums. If you jumped the two posts on the solenoid and it don't start, then it sounds like a bad starter. That is, if the battery is good and all the connections are clean and tight.

#6 ·
Well, I have finished double checking all connections and the battery. I tried direct voltage to the starter from another fully charged battery, and the starter failed to turn. It must be the starter. Now, do I try to rebuild the old one, or just get a new one? I see a new starter on ebay for $54 plus $12 shipping...is this a good price? Rebuild kits are $28...

#7 ·
You can rebuild them if the armature isn't damaged, but for that price, I would just go with the new starter.

#10 ·
Update:

Just an update for those that may have the same problem that I had. I replaced the starter this AM, and that seems to have solved the problem I was having. I will eventually rebuild the old one for a spare.. My thanks to all that helped. This is a great forum! :rating10:

#11 ·
Just an update for those that may have the same problem that I had. I replaced the starter this AM, and that seems to have solved the problem I was having. I will eventually rebuild the old one for a spare.. My thanks to all that helped. This is a great forum! :rating10:
your welcome, glad we could lend a hand.

#12 ·
Glad you got it fixed and glad we could help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.