Honda ATV Forum banner

2005 Foreman 500 start problems

20K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Helmut 
Welcome to the forums. If you jumped the two posts on the solenoid and it don't start, then it sounds like a bad starter. That is, if the battery is good and all the connections are clean and tight.

Well, I have finished double checking all connections and the battery. I tried direct voltage to the starter from another fully charged battery, and the starter failed to turn. It must be the starter. Now, do I try to rebuild the old one, or just get a new one? I see a new starter on ebay for $54 plus $12 shipping...is this a good price? Rebuild kits are $28...
You can rebuild them if the armature isn't damaged, but for that price, I would just go with the new starter.

Well, I have finished double checking all connections and the battery. I tried direct voltage to the starter from another fully charged battery, and the starter failed to turn. It must be the starter. Now, do I try to rebuild the old one, or just get a new one? I see a new starter on ebay for $54 plus $12 shipping...is this a good price? Rebuild kits are $28...
You can rebuild them if the armature isn't damaged, but for that price, I would just go with the new starter.
I have ordered the new starter. I have never rebuilt one, maybe later I will order the kit and give it a try so I will have a spare. Thanks again Helmut for all your help. Us old guys (72), need all the help we can get :wink:
You're welcome, glad to help.

Glad you got it fixed and glad we could help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.