Honda ATV Forum banner

2005 Foreman 500 start problems

20K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Helmut 
I bought this machine brand new for work around the cabin and ice fishing. It has been a great machine with no problems...until now. It seems that when I try to start it with the electric start, the solenoid just clicks. Battery is fully charged. I have tried jumping the solenoid, but nothing happens with the key on or off. If I pull the recoil start once or twice, and then push the starter button it will usually start. When I shut it off and try to start it again, the solenoid just clicks again... Could this be a bad starter? :unsure:

I can't seem to find a post on this problem, so if anyone out here has a solution to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance..
bad solenoid..or your brushes are worn on your starter..replace the solenoid first..it's cheaper and easier to replace.

Just an update for those that may have the same problem that I had. I replaced the starter this AM, and that seems to have solved the problem I was having. I will eventually rebuild the old one for a spare.. My thanks to all that helped. This is a great forum! :rating10:
your welcome, glad we could lend a hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.