Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Honda 400 ex that won't idle. Used to ride it every day but went off to college and it sat for about a year. I can get it to crank and it runs fine as long as I am giving it gas but as soon as I let off it dies I have took carb off and cleaned as well as I could and it wasn't that dirty but I don't know much about carbs. I have adjusted idle screw all the way in and out with no difference being made . only way I can get it to idle at all is by adjusting throttle adjustment on handlebars. Any tips or help please !

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
You need to remove the carb and comp[lately disassemble it. . . . You still have trash in the idle circuit. I would go on www.bikebandit.com and pull up an exploded view of your carb or go in the manual and look at the exploded view there. Familiarize yourself with the carb and parts. Get a good cleaner, your compressor and blow gun.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yes I agree with TRX 2five 0

I have many Honda bikes and when they sit for a while they need to have a complete carb clean. After that they run very well and have no problems. Also make sure your float is free and can move up and down that's a problem that I have seen on my bikes. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts