Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 05 Ricon, and do not know how much oil, or if there is a filter or gap on the plugs, what kind of air filter goes on it. She runs good but needs a small tune up for a new base line. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not sure on the quanity of oil but use GN4 or HN4 Honda oil ... maybe a quart the recon 250 is just like the 250EX sport quad the plastics make the difference. there is no oil filter and most NGK plugs you buy are pre-gapped. I would get a UNI with a pre-filter sock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Well, I will hit up the moto sport place today, and mabye they can help a little more. I was just on last night and thought any extra info and tips would help. thanks for your time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This info from the owner's manual for my son's 09 Recon that he's getting for Christmas:
Oil Capacity: 1.6 quarts after draining.
2 quarts after a rebuild
Oil suggested: SG or higher rating but must not have "Energy Conserving" in the
round label on the container. SAE 10w-30, JASO T 903 Standard
MA, Pro Honda GN4 or an equivalent motorcycle oil.
Spark Plug: NGK DPR8EA-9 or DENSO X24EPR-U9 (standard plug)
Spark Plug Gap: 0.031--0.035"

Valve Clearance: intake: 0.005"
exhaust: 0.005
Idle speed: 1,400 + or - 100 rpm

You can use 10w-40 oil also per the manual in warmer temps. I will use Shell Rotella synthetic 5W-40 when I change the oil the second time in this new Recon. I use it in all the other atvs as well as my Yamaha V Star motorcyle with great results. Shell oils are now rated JASO MA as well.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a used 2005 Recon 250 and I don't have the owners manual but I have a Chilton manual and it shows what ddrumman2004 showed above. No filter and 1.6 qts 10W30 or 10W40 oil for a regular oil change. I looked at all the oil in the autoparts stores and they were all the wrong "s" # or they said "energy conserving" so I ended up going with Honda's overpriced GN4 at $4.99 a qt just to be safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its not a good idea to run automotive oil in an atv it does not have the right properties in it for the clutches and will eventully cause your clutches to slip or even worse ruin a motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts