Honda ATV Forum banner

2004 trx400fga turns over backfires throw carb then stops

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
Hello everyone thanks for having me I have a 2004 trx400fga that I got as a gift when I was 12 mostly every thing on it is stock. 3 years ago the stator went on it, took the stator out and bam had a kid and so the quad sat till about a week ago I got the new stator in and all back together did the valve adjust as well because it was never done befor and it ticked like crazy, got on tdc on the compression stroke set it at .006 put that all back together went to start it just get clicks had to tap the starter to get it going. Turns over good no start has spark hit it with ether then engine dead stops and shoots the ether back through the carburetor I dont know if I messed up the adjustment of the valves or some how messed up the timing when putting the new stator in. Info is really hard to find on this quad plenty on the 350 and 450 but lacking on the 400 any help would be appreciated thank you

#2 ·
the 400 is almost the same motor as the 450. from the sounds of you saying its back firing from the carb ?, this tells me it jumped time, time to tear it down, and have a look at the cam chain , replace with a D.I.D. cam chain.

#4 ·
It did run before ticked like hell but did run. I believe I was on the right stroke there was a little play in the valves when I got it on tdc but I will check again is there a more exact way of know if I'm on compression stroke. have the carb out now to give it a good cleaning idk if that could somehow cause this but it probably needs it anyway, does anyone know if I could of messed the time up when I had the stator out because besides that I dont think it just randomly jumped a tooth and thank you both for your response

#7 ·
a stretched cam chain is about the same thing as it being out of time, same as jumping a tooth !. with it being an '04 ?, chances are..the cam chain has never been replaced !.

#11 ·
Sorry so long getting back to you guys thank you so much for your input i have adjusted the values 4 different times now I even tried adjusting it on what I thought was tdc of exhaust stroke just to make sure I was not just dum, same dead stop but would a bad starter be the cause of this because the starter crapped out so I used the pull start and it sounds like it could start but I have to hand wind the rope every time I pull it also will a pull start off a 2001 Honda rancher es work on my 04 rancher AT? Thank all of you guy I really appreciate

#14 ·
Ok guys I have finally got her running valves are all set i believe, it turns ot my starter was on its was out so when it got to the compression stroke it would stop making it backfire through the carb new starter in and starts up now but now it will not rev up past idle but it idles good but starts getting super hot quick and exhaust get cherry red i cleaned the carb all ready and ran sea foum through it but the choke broke i don't know if its stuck on or off i have to check but could the choke being stuck on cause my problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.