Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
We just purchased a 2004 Rancher and were told by the seller that the Angle sensor was bad so it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. No biggie... but upon further investigation and test driving we have found that after an initial start up and move forward a couple feet the machine completely loses all momentum forward. The engine revs and it's working hard but no momentum. After this occurs, if we put it in reverse the machine sputters like it's not getting any gas....buy never dies.

We have ordered a tune up kit and a new angle sensor. But thought I'd jump on here to see if anyone has had the same experience and has any ideas of what else we can try. At this point we're pretty sure its not just the angle sensor.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I assume you mean acceleration, not momentum. If it is stuck in first, then it will not go faster than about 5 mph.
Here is how to check the shift control motor:
AutoReset2004.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. No it won't even move... not even 5mph. Got it to move in reverse yesterday finally. The display isn't working either so we can't see error codes. That's next on the list to buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. No it won't even move... not even 5mph. Got it to move in reverse yesterday finally. The display isn't working either so we can't see error codes. That's next on the list to buy.

·
Super Moderator
38,303 Posts
if its an auto ?, then its prob the hondamatic, and if it is ? ( this would explain why the seller sold it ! ) you got a paper weight now, not worth fixing, it will cost you a large sum to replace the transmission in it, well over what you paid for the whole atv. auto's are a pile of junk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its an auto ?, then its prob the hondamatic, and if it is ? ( this would explain why the seller sold it ! ) you got a paper weight now, not worth fixing, it will cost you a large sum to replace the transmission in it, well over what you paid for the whole atv. auto's are a pile of junk.
We were afraid of that! We can switch back and forth between auto and manual but so far it doesn't matter which mode we're in.

·
Super Moderator
38,303 Posts
We were afraid of that! We can switch back and forth between auto and manual but so far it doesn't matter which mode we're in.
does not matter which way you put the transmission in ?, auto's still drive off the automatic transmission, when it goes ?, nothing works !. the transmission in these models run up to at min of 1800 bucks, there is no serviceable parts in this transmission to replace, you have to buy the whole transmission in order to fix it. if it is the auto transmission that is bad ?, your best bet is to part it out, try to recoup some of your money, GO BUY A MANUAL SHIFT MODEL !. stay away from automatics and es models !!!.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha! Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate the input even if it's not what I wanted to hear! hahaha

·
Super Moderator
38,303 Posts
Gotcha! Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate the input even if it's not what I wanted to hear! hahaha
i'm sorry for being the bad news bearer here ?, but i speak the truth !. auto's and es models are pure junk !. most of the atvs you see up for sale on cl's are all es, or auto's ?..AND THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON !..LOL.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Honda sold 10 times more ES models than Foot Shift models, so you would expect there to be 10 times more used ES models for sale. Honda probably sold more Auto models than Foot Shift models too. Never buy a Foot Shift model unless you are a frequent rider with strong ankles.

The Hondamatic Auto transmission does cost a lot of money, but that may not be your problem.
You could have a bad centrifugal clutch, or a bad sub-transmission, or it could simply be low on oil.
The spitting and sputtering in reverse can easily be fixed, and if it moves in reverse then the Hondamatic is good.

·
Super Moderator
38,303 Posts
Honda sold 10 times more ES models than Foot Shift models, so you would expect there to be 10 times more used ES models for sale. Honda probably sold more Auto models than Foot Shift models too. Never buy a Foot Shift model unless you are a frequent rider with strong ankles.

The Hondamatic Auto transmission does cost a lot of money, but that may not be your problem.
You could have a bad centrifugal clutch, or a bad sub-transmission, or it could simply be low on oil.
The spitting and sputtering in reverse can easily be fixed, and if it moves in reverse then the Hondamatic is good.
yep..they sold 10 times more es model than manual shifts !, because they were pushing the sales !..lmao. still does not make up for the fact that all these es and auto's ARE BREAKING DOWN !, AND THE OWNERS ARE HERE ASKING HOW TO FIX THEM ?!. i'll say it again.....SHOW ME THE THREADS ON THIS SITE THAT ASK FOR HELP WITH MANUAL SHIFTS ?..THEN SHOW ME THE NUMBER OF THREADS THAT ARE ASKING FOR HELP FOR ES AND AUTO MODELS ?!. A MONTHS SALARY SAYS YOU WILL FIND MORE ES AND AUTO THREADS ON THIS SITE ?!...BET ??...PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS !!!!!. i dont care if honda sold a million more es than manual shifts ?..IT DOES NOT ACCOUNT FOR HOW WELL THEY ARE ?!!!. if ya like es and auto's ?..fine..buy and own one !, myself ?..i KNOW WHAT LAST !..LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts