Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my rancher was cutting out bad like when i was going steady throttle it would cut out then i turned it off and it wouldnt start back, so i thought since is was smoking pretty bad as it is that i was loosing compression. I rebuild the top end today to see if that was the problem....I have cleaned the carb multiple times and put everything back to spec possible. Any suggestions to what it could be.
Ps. it does turn over i can spary some ether and hold the choke up and it will act like it wants to run badly but doesnt.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It sounds like either jets within the carb or timing (valve or chain, etc). Curious, when you rebuilt the top end, did you put in a new timing chain?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I don't think Alloutdoors is far wrong on this one. If you paid a lot of attention to the carb I would be steering towards timing or timing chain.
I'm having similar issues with a TRX250, this without doubt is timing chain. I also had an issue with my 300 fourtrax when it had jumped a tooth and was out of time.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
timing is off, cam chain is bad.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanka guys for the help. i will most likely have to take the 4 wheeler sonewhere to get the timing chain fixed due to i do not want to take the whole engine out by myself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Alloutdoors no i did not put a new timing chain in. i thought thatsince it as smoking it was loosing compression thats why it was cutting out. but obviously thats not the case. Anyone know how hard it is to do a timing chain on them?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
It's not a 5 minute job I assure you.. I'm not familiar with your model so can't really comment, have a look on YouTube I'm sure there will be tutorials to give you some idea of what's involved.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not a 5 minute job I assure you.. I'm not familiar with your model so can't really comment, have a look on YouTube I'm sure there will be tutorials to give you some idea of what's involved.
So. Today i talked to the mechanic that works on all my 4 wheelers that i dont know what im doing with. He informed me that it has not jumped time but most likely a bent valve due to where i have had an exhaust leak and i run my rancher alot with just straight pipe not with the acutall muffler part on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Hmm.. Running without a muffler would decrease back pressure in the outlet system (exhaust) I can't see how or why this would bend a valve.
It's like running headers on an SBC for example, you don't bend valves..

Was it out of time before you rebuilt the top end? Just wondering if the valve was bent before you rebuilt it, it may have ran fine and then when you reset the timing this is when the issue of cutting out came about.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Hmm.. Running without a muffler would decrease back pressure in the outlet system (exhaust) I can't see how or why this would bend a valve.
It's like running headers on an SBC for example, you don't bend valves..

Was it out of time before you rebuilt the top end? Just wondering if the valve was bent before you rebuilt it, it may have ran fine and then when you reset the timing this is when the issue of cutting out came about.
you deff can burn a valve running them with open headers, or in his case, no muffler, straight pipe !..lol.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Not convinced lol.. Tell me how ;-)

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Sorry, just read that again.. Burn yes, but bend? Bending a valve is only down to a few things, running without a muffler isn't going to cause a bent valve issue.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Sorry, just read that again.. Burn yes, but bend? Bending a valve is only down to a few things, running without a muffler isn't going to cause a bent valve issue.
pssstttttttttt..I did say..BURN...!..not bend...lol.

Reactions: SamUK
1 - 13 of 13 Posts