Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my foreman to the lease today for the first time this year and it started cutting out when in a bind in the mud. It wont rev up to high rpm. It starts sputtering and losing power. Im wondering if its the carb, valves need resetting or maybe head gasket. It starts fine. Idles great, and runs good as long as its not in a bind. As soon as i gas it, it starts sputtering then wants to die. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Probably the carb. I would take it off and clean it good. Also, check for any holes or tears in the rubber vacuum piston inside the top of the carb and check for leaks in the rubber intake boot that the carb fastens to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From my experience, the carb could be the problem, but also you might want to check to make sure that you don't have any water in your gas, because that is what I run into alot. Drain the gas out of the bowl of the carb into a clear cup. If you see bubbles in the gas or can hold it up to the light--you'll see where the water will separate from the gas..if it is water then you need to remove the line from the carb and drain all the gas out of the gas tank. Just one drop of water in that float bowl will cause it not to rev completely out. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
wise gave you good advice..check your carb for water..and give your carb a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
A good way to find out if you have water in your gas tank is to turn the fuel valve on reserve. If you have water in the tank, it will all be in the bottom of the tank and when you turn it on reserve, it will run even worse than it does now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the problem. When i took the breather pipe off i found a mud dabber nest in the opening of the pipe. Cleaned it out and took the carb off and cleaned it also while i was at it. Runs like a new one. Thanks for all the advice. Word to all... Check for dabber nest first...they can get anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Found the problem. When i took the breather pipe off i found a mud dabber nest in the opening of the pipe. Cleaned it out and took the carb off and cleaned it also while i was at it. Runs like a new one. Thanks for all the advice. Word to all... Check for dabber nest first...they can get anywhere.
yep..i have seen them all the way deep inside the frames of 3 wheelers..stopping up the air flow to the breather box..soo they can be troublesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts