Honda ATV Forum banner

2004 Foreman 450es odometer issue

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rtmillerx 
#1 ·
I recently found the battery dead on my foreman. I pull started it and found that the odometer and speedometer switched from mph to kmph. I have read tons and haven't found any where about how to correct this issue. I tried the reset... ignition off, hold up/down shift, ignition on, shift up, down and up.... open throttle and close. The Neutral indicator N flashes but no progress on my problem. Tomorrow I will try and disconnect battery and wait a minute or two and reconnect. I see others had this problem, surely someone has found a solution.

#2 ·
You can select either MILE or KM mode. The owner's manual explains how to do so. Evidently when your battery went dead, it switched to the other mode by itself. If you don't have the owner's manual, you might be able to download it from the support section of the Honda web site. My 2015 Foreman might be different from your 2004 Foreman, but on my machine, you have to first get into odometer mode by pressing the mode select button until odometer mode appears. Then, press and hold the mode select button for more than 5 seconds. Doing this will toggle between the two modes.

#3 ·
Thankyou, I have the owners manual. I looked through it and couldn't find any reference. I will specifically try what you mentioned. I am pretty sure I tried that, but I will make sure to hold for 5 seconds or more.
I know the bike has less than 1000 miles, but after it changed itself to KM it now says 650,000 KM. All other functions seem to work fine, it shifts and all other display functions appear normal.

#6 ·
Called dealership today, they suggested turning ignition to on position and then pressing the trip/odometer button simultaneously as the clock button. That didn't seem to get any result. Someone has to have experienced this problem before.

#9 ·
The problem is very common on the older 450’s when the battery goes dead. It can’t be fixed, you have to replace the display. If you can figure out what exactly goes wrong inside it and how to reprogram the display to whatever odo reading and unit you want please let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
The problem is very common on the older 450’s when the battery goes dead. It can’t be fixed, you have to replace the display. If you can figure out what exactly goes wrong inside it and how to reprogram the display to whatever odo reading and unit you want please let us know.

Mac is correct /this is a programming problem caused by a dead battery
I have been working on these speedometers for quite a while I am able to program them for dropped programming and errors and also repair sunburn UV damaged displays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.